Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Activation box style 2, av switch over 18650 batts chassis disc, will it fit?

Default Activation box style 2, av switch over 18650 batts chassis disc, will it fit?

As the topic indicates I was wondering if the activation box style 2 lifts up the shorter AV switch (2 cm/0,8") high enough so that 18650 (inside the chassis disc) will fit under it?

To clarify what I mean heres a pic -->

Thanks in advance!!!

Marco

Yay! I get to answer a question instead of ask one!
    I wanted to do the same thing with activation box 14, short AV switches, and a 14500 pack. Unfortunately, I found that when in the chassis disk, the battery profile was too large to sit under the switches. Box #2 looks like it sits up higher than #14, but I believe the 18650 series are also thicker than the 14500 (dont quote me), so you may run into an identical problem. You also have to take into consideration that you will be soldering leads onto the switch posts, which will add length to the posts. Wired can also take up a good ammount of space. I had to move the pack towards the pommel, and it stops Just before the switch holes. Wheww. I would try to move the battery into another location (like I did), but it may be hard depending on how long your main body is. Mine is 7" and I had to add a MHS "gear" extension to make it all fit. What kind of main body are you working with.

Wiring *** (not WIRED). Damn autocorrect.

Zahc happens to be correct. The 18650's are 4mm wider than the 14500's. And if you're trying to squeeze 2 18650's into a hilt, you'll find it is VERY difficult, with everything else that generally goes into a hilt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hm I found this --> http://imperialroyalarms.proboards.c...lay&thread=868 how is that possible?
    battery stick configuration, 130mm long (just over 5 inches). The electronics is on top of the stick. The speaker at the very end of the 7" main body... the battery might not actually be protruding under the switch. If it does though, the box will raise the switch 0.245" out of the hilt. It ought to be able to fit under there. Might have to bend the switches solder tabs 90 degrees to increase room under them but it should fit.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

The setup you are inquiring about very well may work, but as I found out, speculation is just speculation until you have the parts in your hand. I found that one out the hard way. My setup didn't look like it was going to work until I calmed down and thought about it, assembled the chassis, slipped it in, and re-worked as needed. My recommendation is to order your parts, maybe one of the 14500 batteries on top of the 18650 (not too expensive), and see what will work. Worst-case-scenario, you have a battery for your next build.

Starwaster could be right too, but if you decide to bend switch posts, you are braver than I am !! ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post
    The setup you are inquiring about very well may work, but as I found out, speculation is just speculation until you have the parts in your hand. I found that one out the hard way. My setup didn't look like it was going to work until I calmed down and thought about it, assembled the chassis, slipped it in, and re-worked as needed. My recommendation is to order your parts, maybe one of the 14500 batteries on top of the 18650 (not too expensive), and see what will work. Worst-case-scenario, you have a battery for your next build.

Starwaster could be right too, but if you decide to bend switch posts, you are braver than I am !! ;P
    Not a good idea to mix batteries with differing capacities (or am I misinterpreting what you're suggesting?)

I don't *think* he'd have to do anything like that with the posts, it was just a thought. You're definitely right about speculation. You can speculate all you want, plot it out in diagrams all you want, the reality of parts in hand is quite a bit different (esp if you haven't worked with them before). I had mine plotted in detail and but couldn't get mine to fit in the way I'd planned. I initially planned to put 2 18650s in a hilt that was mostly extensions and found that my plan A wasn't workable at all. Plan B made me uncomfortable so I ended up going with 2x18350 batts. I also have a pair of 25500's that I almost went with. Maybe some day I'll rework the whole thing and slap those in cause they have monstrous capacity.... 4000mAH IIRC.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Haha! Yeah I meant go with the skinny one if the 18650 didn't work. I don't know much about electronics but wouldn't reccomend mixing either.
    Yep, I had it all planned out too but it definitely didn't work like planned. Still works tho!
    Geeze! 4000mah!? Holy schmoly! Yo Starwaster, maybe you'd know: I'm running a deep red rebel (@700ma) off of a 14500 pack (2 cell?) with petit crouton 2.0 and 2 short illuminated anti vandals. Haven't put it together yet but I wanted to get an idea of how long my batt will last... Like 1 hour 30 min u think??

Oh and Marco! Very funny coincidence! I was googling the crystal focus, clicked on a picture of a saber, and it took me to the thread on a forum (imp royal arms) that you asked the same question on earlier today. What a strange occurrence! What are the chances!? The force must be strong with us!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post
    Haha! Yeah I meant go with the skinny one if the 18650 didn't work. I don't know much about electronics but wouldn't reccomend mixing either.
    Yep, I had it all planned out too but it definitely didn't work like planned. Still works tho!
    Geeze! 4000mah!? Holy schmoly! Yo Starwaster, maybe you'd know: I'm running a deep red rebel (@700ma) off of a 14500 pack (2 cell?) with petit crouton 2.0 and 2 short illuminated anti vandals. Haven't put it together yet but I wanted to get an idea of how long my batt will last... Like 1 hour 30 min u think??

Oh and Marco! Very funny coincidence! I was googling the crystal focus, clicked on a picture of a saber, and it took me to the thread on a forum (imp royal arms) that you asked the same question on earlier today. What a strange occurrence! What are the chances!? The force must be strong with us!! LOL!
    Keep in mind, that 4000 mAH is the manufacturer's claimed capacity. Could be less than that, but it's probably not too far off.... given that I haven't actually used it I don't know. I'm a bit low on cash flow right but one day I'll either stick it in my saber or use it in a rechargeable flashlight project and then I'll find out for sure.

I don't think you'll get 1.5 hours out of that... You didn't specify exact capacity; store has 2 14500s, 750mAH and 800mAH. With the higher one you'd get just over an hour I think, just going by the numbers with, taking into account the LED and battery but not sound. To get an hour and a half you'd need something 1000mAH. (store has 14650s, they're 1050mAH...)