Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need a little advice here on wiring and general construction of the sabers

Default Need a little advice here on wiring and general construction of the sabers

Im totally new to the this cite and need some questions answered. First how is the sound board incorporated into the electronics and do they have sounds you can select from. Second im designing a hilt and need to know how the activation boxes work and generally how to you attach them.

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

In order to "incorporate" the soundboard to the electronics, you'll have to make some solderings, here on this forum you'll find wiring diagrams about how to do this. You can load only one soundfont at a time in the petit crouton board sd card, the crystal focus allows you to select different soundfonts.
    There are different boxes sold here in the store, They can generally be "attached" to the hilt with screws. In others, the switch keep the whole thing in place. But as Skinnerman says, I strongly recommend you these links. You won't want to toast a soundboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Halcyon View Post
    Im totally new to the this cite and need some questions answered. First how is the sound board incorporated into the electronics and do they have sounds you can select from. Second im designing a hilt and need to know how the activation boxes work and generally how to you attach them.
    I would highly suggest following the "if you're new read these" links in my signature, as well as doing a lot of reading, especially of the A-to-Z build threads. Between them, these should answer most of your questions. I also highly suggest - from personal experience, mind you! - starting off with something simple for your first lightsaber - get a buckpuck or resistor driven build under your belt (or clipped to it, as the case may be) before you dive into getting a soundboard. Yes, sabers with sound are much cooler than ones without, but even four years later I'm still kicking myself for killing the Crystal Focus board I managed to get my hands on when I first started.

You should also go through various "build threads". It will give you a general idea of how a hilt is constructed. Jay-Gon Jinn Has done some nice ones for some of the sabers he has built through the years.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Halcyon View Post
    another good one is the "Beginners, start here" thread.

well i've rambled some more. lols. good luck.
    Last edited by mrknify; 07-08-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: i hate my tablet keyboardlk

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Whoa there killer, we don't go around using the "R" word. He's new, cut him some slack, everyone was new once.

First, welcome to the forums! As you can probably tell, we're REAL big on reading around here. The reason is, this isn't a cheap hobby, and mistakes cost you hundreds of $$$$. So, a lot of folks have gone to great lengths to write up glossaries, tutorials, build logs etc to help new peeps from making mistakes that they themselves made, or have seen made by others. It has actually exponentially pushed this hobby forward. When I first started lurking here, you were a KING if you figured out how to cram electronics with sound into a sub 15" hilt If you could do good shrouds, yep, instant Godhood. Things have obviously changed, the bar is higher and the reason is that new people are better educated, better prepared for the road ahead because of the giants that came before and cleared the path. Take your time, breathe deeply, get a coffee habit and do some heavy reading...but most of all...HAVE FUN AND JUST TRY STUFF!!!!

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Just try stuff is great advice. Builds don't always go as planned, even with great planning. Go for it and see what you come up with.

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

thingstoget... emitter extension handle pommel maybe choke... led [premade lux] premade blade [thick] buck puck resisterz... latching switch; battery holder.

wow this dvorak keyboard is nice but i feel like a noob trying to type on it.....

details depend on your led and battery feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordandau View Post
    Just try stuff is great advice. Builds don't always go as planned, even with great planning. Go for it and see what you come up with.
    Haha, I'd say builds never go as planned