Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MedicineMan's Jedi Uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Starwaster View Post
    Go with cotton, not wool. Unless you're wearing this exclusively in winter climates. Otherwise you will overheat.
    as close to movie as possible, I am going. Overheat I will not.

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

It will get warm, but it will be worth it. Cotton in my experience never drapes the way wool does. There are also different weights to wool too, so you can get a lighter weight if you're ever worried about the temperature.
    Follow Your Bliss

Wool is the only way to go, particularly for RL approval. The big thing with cotton is that it looks like garbage after it wears for a while. The first robe I made, prior to actually trying to join the RL, was a cotton onasburg.....OK for Halloween, but NOT a RL costume. As for the heat...I wore my HONKING Heavy wool robe at CV in Orlando in August...It was warm but not any hotter than my stormtrooper armor. My robe is made of a heavyweight wool with a twill weave. IT drapes Great but it is probably too heavy. A wool suiting material may be too light and too "swishy". Note that in the movies, they used different weights of fabric to achieve different looks on screen. I ordered wool from fashion fabrics online...great service and they offer thread that is color matched. VERY helpful.

The mock up is great idea. That is what that first robe I made was...

I am in the RL blue ridge base. PM me if you have any questions.

I would suggest logging on to the local RL base and hanging out on their forums. There ARENT as many saber guys in the RL as you might think. There are lots of machined mock ups of sabers but not wonderful MHS, buttered toast goodies like are around here.

J.
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......

Material for outer robes was ordered on the 2nd, and should be on the 6th. Will have pics of when it is done! Woot! Still need to get inner robes, belt, boots, pouches, and food capsules.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
    A Jedi's simple woolen robe is a symbol of his poverty, of his eschewing material wealth and comfort in favor of his connection to the Force and servitude to beings throughout the galaxy.

This just means that you're a super-impoverished Jedi, and therefore must be of a level of bad-assedness that puts Yoda, Mace, and the whiney Chosen-One all to shame!! =D
    I like that interpretation, eschewing material wealth and comfort. Sounds like what a Jedi would do.
    I also like the one where the brown robes (cloaks) are an all temperature piece of garb. Warm when its cold out, cool when its hot out.
    But most of all I like the bed sheet mock up MedicineMan very industrious way to conserve resources
    I don't think I could build a robe, let alone one out of sheet material. So my hats off to you, well done.
    AND show us the finished project (brown all temperature) when your wool robe is done

Youngling
    Youngling
    Blog Entries

will that be your lining?

Quote Originally Posted by mrknify View Post
    will that be your lining?

for your outer shell, i recommend a rough un bleached canvas, best bet goto fabric store and look for somthing that feels right, tell the girls working there you need to make the robe and you doing the outershell, and go from there, they will help you.
    The Bedsheet Jedi Robe was the mock-up before I spent the $$$ on actual material. The robe will be lined though. I have to thank my mother though for doing this. I gave her the directions and she used old sheets for the templates. No need wasting a bunch of yards of good material on a mock-up. Hopefully pics in the next few weeks

Well my outer robes have been completed for awhile, and am having the lining removed, as it was staticy at Celebration VI. My robes have been completed though, and here is a picture of them:

All that is left now are boots, belt, pouch, and pants.

Lookin pretty great there MedicineMan! Pretty jealous right now, and looking forward to pics of the whole ensemble!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Well all, last week I was approved by the Rebel Legion, and have joined the ranks of the Knights of the Jedi Order. Located in Dantooine Base you can find this Jedi!

My approved costume

My album pics that were submitted