Thread: Reworking an old saber

Default Reworking an old saber

So long ago in an appartment not so far away I built a saber. It was nice but over time certian things about it ate away at me till recently I decide to rework it.
    Here is the original saber.

I have decided to remove the spikes, which while very cool looking to me were rather unwieldy, also I decided to try and make it more uniform in sizeas the old version had several abrupt step downs. Doing a lot of this so I can carry it at a con easier as it will be on my hip and used for pics. Here is where it is now. I have removed the ribed section to shorten it, added orings to buck up certian portions to even out the size and made changes to the overlay parts also switch the pommel for a style 3 one. As well as adding a crown to the emitter inplace of the spikes. Plan to change out the allen screws in it for the knrul screws in the emitter portion so all the screw match and dont look like screws anymore. Then there is the electronics rework, the original setup had 2 sound boards, one running the blade the other the crystal, I am cutting back to one board to run both. Comment and suggestions are welcome.

"Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

I totally agree with the removal of the claws. The hilt is more elegant now. IMO, I'd keep the former gold activation switch wich is cool, and maybe put it somewhere in this empty area between the emitter and the crystal chamber over some kind of overlay...

yeah keep that activation switch, but either way i think it looks great.

Just might do that, beleive it or not that activation box started as a door bell.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Yeah, I really like it. I also agree with Vlad, box back on (between chamber and emitter) and call it good
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

So got the rewireing done and also rebuilt the crystal holder. Now the crystal will be lit with luexon star I got out of an old flash light sometime back, and the blade will be lit with a souel p4. Used a 10ohm resistor for the luexon star to knock the 6v to about 3.27v and discovered that I could run the suoel p4 straight off the relay with the 2 in parallel with no resistor or puck on the p4(might not be complete brightness but it is still hella bright). Will get pics up tomorrow so you can see it. And as for the weight of the pommel it is pretty light but very solid.

Last edited by Goltar Bias; 03-02-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Got it finish, ended up haveing to lengthen it a little to acomadate the battery pack but other wise prettymuch wha I was after.

Last edited by Goltar Bias; 03-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.