Thread: MHS Darth Vader ROTJ "proof of concept"

Default MHS Darth Vader ROTJ "proof of concept"

So, like many of you, I was thrilled by the introduction of the Graflex-style MHS Blade Holder No. 20. But, like many of you, I am also stumped about what to do without a pair of bunny ears to make a Luke ANH/ESB or an Anakin ROTS.

And then I remembered that one Star Wars lightsaber prop that makes use of a Graflex without the bunny ears: The ROTJ Darth Vader.

Of course, the ROTJ Vader poses challenges of its own; to wit, a shroud, control box, and emitter D-ring holder that are not readily available. It might be easier to fashion a pair of rabbit ears, but for me it was easier to make 3D models of the other items and have them 3D-printed at Shapeways.

So that's what I did, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Note that this is just an empty hilt at this point, and is still missing the emitter D-ring and the Kobold D-ring holder for the pommel. When it's done, it will have a small crystal chamber.

The greeblie below the emitter is made from a standard (?) air valve stem I bought from an auto supply shop. I cut it down with a hacksaw, and tapped the hole to fit an M6 (#1/4-20) hollow set screw. I then drilled and tapped a very small M2 (#2-56) hole at a 90º angle so that I could adjust the length of the main set screw and hold it in place with the tiny M2 set screw. (Does that make sense? Hopefully the photo will help.) Anyway, the air valve stem serves as the blade retention screw. (BTW, I had to drill and re-tap the pre-existing hole on the blade holder to accommodate the M6 set screw, and unfortunately I did not get it perfectly vertical.)

Also, I had the D-ring holder 3D printed a few months earlier than the shroud and control box, and apparently the black ink Shapeways uses has become a deeper black in the meanwhile, so I should probably have it reprinted, or maybe just paint it myself.

I think I'll leave it at that and let the photos talk for themselves. Let me know if you have any questions.

There's always a bigger fish.

Technically, Vader's saber wasn't based on a Graflex. It was based on a British "Micro Precision Products" or MPP Microflash. Very similar to the Graflex but made by a different company. The thing was designed to hold batteries for a flash bulb for Pete's sake. How different can they be?
    "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." -- Genesis 3:24 Lightsabers are real.

3D printing is amazing isn't it?
    Isn't there a polished finish-version of the BSF? At least the white version has that..

Looks great to me, but the rough-look of the box kind of looks weird in contrast with those smooth grips. The emitter also seems to have a slightly different shade of black than the printed shroud.
    Anyways, a great version of a saber rarely built.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tachikoma1 View Post
    Technically, Vader's saber wasn't based on a Graflex. It was based on a British "Micro Precision Products" or MPP Microflash. Very similar to the Graflex but made by a different company. The thing was designed to hold batteries for a flash bulb for Pete's sake. How different can they be?
    Vader's sabers were built off of MPP flashes for ANH & ESB but as the op said in ROTJ it was built off of a Graflex.

Thanks for the comments. tachikoma1, what iamdrake said. The prop in ROTJ was made from a Graflex, not an MPP. Rafalema, only the white is available in "polished" at this point. This hilt actually looks better in person. I find that things printed by Shapeways are not very "photogenic." But, yeah, a satin finish on the printed parts would be fantastic. I suppose I could be ambitious and try sanding and spray-painting the pieces, but for now I'm happy with it as it is.

BTW, the control box was intended to be functional, with movable buttons, but I didn't leave enough space between the buttons and box, and the buttons fused to the rest of the box in the printing process. I fixed that (hopefully), and also added grooves and holes seen in the original prop, and am waiting for the re-print now. Once I have that, I can put the guts in.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Nice work Matt!

I too wish they had the black in the polished option. The polished white is actually quite nice.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Thank you, FenderBender! 3D printing still has a long way to go, but Shapeways is good about introducing new materials and levels of detail pretty regularly. I would be surprised if they don't introduce polished/glossy in other colors over the next few months. I'm also hoping they'll improve their metal-printing technology.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I like it Matt. Great job.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thank you, Sir!