Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Elsa" by Yoshi-Taka

Default "Elsa" by Yoshi-Taka

It's not a friggin' Bronysaber for once!

I'm a big big big fan of Disney's new film, "Frozen". I knew as soon as I left the theater that I was gonna make a lightsaber for my favourite character. Elsa is a character whose magical snow and ice powers have controlled her life, leading to isolation and fear. She mainly uses her powers to defend herself, and is very afraid of hurting other people. Basically, she's the perfect Jedi Consular. The design reflects this, making Makashi and Soresu easy to achieve, creating the perfect defense.

Almost all the parts are media blasted to create a "powder snow" look. She sparkles in the light while giving the user a good, slipless grip. The BBW Tri-Rebel is wired to mix the blue and white, creating an "arctic blue" look to the blade (it looks way better in person). There was originally going to be a chrome shroud to accent the media blasting, but I didn't want to risk scratching up the gorgeous look it already had. This saber is also my first to use Madcow's "Hoth" soundfont, letting the weilder feel the icy power of the saber in combat (it's also a pun).

SPECS
    -All MHS parts, all media blasted
    -Nano Biscotte v1.0 (Madcow's "Hoth" font)
    -18650 3.7v 3400mAh single-cell li-ion battery
    -Silver momentary AV switch
    -2.1mm recharge port + kill key
    -Luxeon Tri-Rebel BBW (BW in parallel for "arctic blue" blade)
    -8.32 set screw
    -Silver covertec wheel

PICS

VIDEO (Warning - I make a lot of puns in this video. I'm not sorry.)

THE INSPIRATION

Woah it's not a bronysaber??
    I really like the look of the media blasting. In fact i think this is the first time that i've seen a saber almost completely media blasted. It definitely gives a unique, frosted look to the metal - and i know from experience it's hard to capture that on camera; it just looks so great in person!
    Great choice with the arctic blue blade color and Madcow's awesome Hoth font - very icy!

p.s. i skipped the first half of your video since i haven't seen Frozen yet ... didn't want any spoilers!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Yup, not a candy-coloured horse crossover. Honestly, it feels kinda good. I think I'm burning myself out on them.

I've used media blasting before, on my first real saber. I'm a big fan of the look and it worked out really well here, I think.
    Truth time - I liked the blade and font, but after actually holding this saber, I decided to make it my personal saber. The arctic blue looks decent, but terrible in pictures. So... I rewired the Tri-Rebel to have both blues for the blade and the font is my personal favourite. I'll be dueling with this one and I'm very confident, and pleased, to do so. I'll probably switch to a Rebel Star Blue so I can have a much better run time (2.5 hours instead of about 1.44 hours).

Yeah, there's minor spoilers in the video. Nothing major. I don't script my videos so I tend to space out and babble, lol.

Pretty cool, man (PUN WAR BEGIN!).

Wow. That thing actually looks cold to the touch. Holy buckets, dude. Seriously. Looks like you put it in the freezer for a few days. Absolutely amazing.

You need to dual wield this with your Rapunzel saber. You're going to have to change your name to "Disney Princess Saber Warrior", which would be much more intimidating that it sounds.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Thank you! I've found the whole project quick 'chilling'. (I'm from Ohio, I can make winter puns all year.)

It might be my house, but she's actually not that cold to hold. If she didn't have electronics, I'd toss her in the freezer. That'd be pretty cold of me, though.

UUUUUGGGHHHH! If I still had Rapunzel, I definitely would dual-weild them. Elsa would be my off-hand ultra-spinny distraction saber. I would be the King of Queens.. wait, I think that's trademarked...... I thought my unofficial name was "My Little Jedi".

hahah "My Little Jedi" ... brilliant!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

"My Little Jedi: Princesses Are Sabers". We need to make this a thing.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

You guys better appreciate this, I swear to god..

I'm a princess! A princess whose hoodie makes her look fatter than she is.
    (Yes, I'm holding Elsa. Tri-Rebel BBW, BB blade.)

Ha! Yoshi, you need to make that your profile pic.

I really like the media blasting. I think that a contrasting "shiny" shroud would look really nice, but I don't mind a few scratches on my hilts, so it might not be for you. Regardless, it is a great looking saber. Really suits you.

I hope to see some more blasted sabers from you in the future. This was great.

I'm seriously thinking about it. It's a darn good thing I don't take myself too seriously.

I would love to have a shroud on Elsa, but I don't want to scratch up the media blasting. I don't mind a scratched-up saber if it's just the normal MHS part(s), but this is too pretty to ruin. I thank you; this is probably the best saber I've ever made, and definitely my favourite to use. I'll be using Elsa for a long time. If Nano Biscotte 2.0 has multiple soundfonts, that's the only change I'll be making to her.