Thread: Help please Maul Conversion question

Default Help please Maul Conversion question

So I have a few lightsabers from other places. I love the Maul double saber, am thinking of getting one and converting it with TCSS kit. In the tutorial it said you would lose the scrolling up/down light effects. Could that be remedied if I put a LED driver inside? Someone who's done this before, is there room? What do you think. I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks guys.

One more thing please. With conversions, with MHS too, will I be able to swap LED's or will they be glued in permanently?

Finally could a rebel star with 3 LEDs of the same color be brighter/better and still have enough battery space?

IMPORTANT!! should I do another saber (stunt?) before a conversion?
    Last edited by Jangotat; 05-09-2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: More questions

Well there might be room for the driver with some slight interior mods.

The scrolling effect wouldn't be like the one you have now, it's the single LED fading in and out. It'll produce and awesome effect, but can't compete with LED strings on the scrolling.

The LED will still fade in and out on the stock FX board, but the effect will not be as obvious as the LED string. As you said, the fading would be more noticeable with an LED driver, but fitting it in would be a bit of a pain, and perhaps not worth the effort IMO.
    As for changing the LED, with conversions, quick swapping the LED isn't possible, as you would have to disassemble the saber all over again to get at the conversion kit. With MHS, however, you can very easily change the LED out, you simply unscrew the bladeholder and unplug your LED (provided it is on a quick disconnect).

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Blog Entries

Your best bet for being able to change the color of the blade would be to get a while LED and the The 12 colored disks Tim sells here.
    Last edited by Inferno; 05-05-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Fixing link

I've seen some of the conversion for the hasbro build your own lightsaber. Would it be possible to convert a hasbro saber (like Maul) or MHS saber like that. Does Tim carry any RGB LED's? They are mentioned quite a bit but I can't find them in the store.

rgb leds the store doesn't carry you will have to search for them on the net

google RGB led and you should find what you are looking for

Thanks for the great answers!

But could I convert a Maul fx with a RGB LED and the 15 color combo, while still keeping the sound?
    Anyone? (is there room etc.)

Are the drivers Tim carries Corbin drivers? If not what's the difference and what does each one do?
    Last edited by Jangotat; 05-09-2011 at 08:33 PM.

The store carries Corbin drivers. Corbin drivers make the LED fade in/out when you activate the saber along with other effects, they also regulate power. Sound is handled by a sound board. If you want to keep the sound of the saber, you'll just need to wire in your LED to the sound board that was included with the FX saber. There are plenty of wiring diagrams on the boards here, if you search for them. As for your color, others were suggesting that you use a White LED (available from TCSS) & use the color changing discs (also from TCSS) to select your different colors.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by stegasp; 05-11-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: correction

Thankyou! that was just what I needed to know about drivers.

I do understand and own a white lightsaber with color discs (saberforge), but I'm not impressed. Thanks a lot for the ideas, but I think my next color changing saber will be hot swap or RGBA.
    Thanks a ton everyone!