Thread: 1st time wanna-be-saber-builder with some questions.

Default 1st time wanna-be-saber-builder with some questions.

Hey all. Another new guy here. Looking to build my 1st hilt. Simple hilt, no bells or whistles yet.

Lookin to buy the 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 sink tubes from The Custom Saber Shop as well as an end cap, D-ring, couple of decorative buttons, and a blade holder. Maybe a couple of other things too. I have some ideas but I have a couple of...noob questions.

I want to slip a pipe over the 1 1/4 and do some custom dremel work to the slip on pipe. (1) Do they make a chrome pipe that would slip IN or OVER a 1 1/4 sink tube (or a 1 1/2 tube for that matter). I don't want to use PVC...trying to go all chrome at this time. Any thoughts? I see the sink tube adapters which I may utilize, but I am looking for some pipe to SLIP in or over.

Also, it appears that poly washers are the only way to slip a 1 1/2 over the 1 1/4. I don't really want to use polu wahers. (2) What else can be used besides poly washers for such a job? Is there an alternative?

Sorry if the questions are weird or have been answered. Thanks all!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums sir. The questions you asked are easily answered. You will want to get some ribbed rubber flooring. It is available at home depot. It fits pretty darn near perfect and provides a great grip. If you check out several sabers I have made, you will see how it looks.

As far as Polywashers, if you undercoat them black they look pretty cool

Hope that helps.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Are you wanting the rubber washers or flooring as a grip? Or just means to slip the pipe on?

BTW welcome to the forums people are nice here and helpful.
    Last edited by Gregorybear1986; 04-21-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: I was trying not to be rude and wrlco

Welcome, everyone here is really helpfull, just make sure your read all the forms first before asking questions, because there so much coverd.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

I guess I am confusing. You know how people slip a PVC pipe over a sink tube? They dremel up the PVC to make some kewl designs. Or you know how people slip a sink tube over an MHS saber? They dremel it up and make some great designs. Well is there any type of tube, besides the PVC, that would slip over a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" sink pipe?

I've never seen any PVC overlays on metal sabers... (or sinktube sabers)

You might want to get a pair of calipers, measure the OD of the tube, and make use of your google-fu to find a tube that has the correct inner diameter. (Your sinktube's outer diameter)

Good luck!

There aren't any commonly available metal tubes that fit snugly over each other in the manner you describe. The 1.5" sinktube fits perfectly over MHS parts, since the MHS parts were designed that way on purpose. You may be able to find an online metal supplier that will fit your needs.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I would suggest looking at onlinemetals.com
    They have a fantastic selection of pipe and tube in various ID and OD, as well as different materials.
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

Thanks all! I appreciate all the advice!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    I've never seen any PVC overlays on metal sabers... (or sinktube sabers)

You might want to get a pair of calipers, measure the OD of the tube, and make use of your google-fu to find a tube that has the correct inner diameter. (Your sinktube's outer diameter)

Good luck!
    You need to go check out the Big yellow box.
    http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...