Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Saber Build, What do you think...

Red face New Saber Build, What do you think...

Hello everyone, So ive been a fan of lightsabers for a long time now, and after a friend showed me his Obi-Wan Kenobi Force FX Lightsaber, I was hooked into owning one myself.
    So after much time looking at other sabers, I decided that I wanted something that is mine completely mine, my only, my precious,
    So after alot of dectevive work, and much time spent on mocking up something I would want to have, I think ive come up with a Deicent saber design.

1 of: Activation box style 5
    1 of: LED "Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD (40 inches)
    1 of: Seoul P4 Lens Holder
    1 of: Luxeon Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
    1 of: Trim Ring 3 (Gold)
    1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 12
    1 of: MHS choke style 1
    1 of: MHS ribbed extension v-grooved
    1 of: Hilt style 4 with standard style switch hole
    1 of: MPS Clip
    1 of: MPS Pommel style 3 v1

Still Deciding on the eletronics, I really like the look of the LEDengin LED's, maybe a 5w or 10w red/ deep red.
    Looking for some small momentary switch.(think ive found the site for it.)
    On the back will bar a led bar graph, and in the choke section a simple crystal chamber.

Tell me what you think

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

you're going to have some issues with that ribbed grooved extension and that choke like that - especially if you don't have a lathe/mill/machining equipment. if you want a deep red, i highly recommend the LEDengin 5W deep red - the 10W ones are wired in series and have insane voltage requirements. if you use a trim ring 3 there, you'll need a couple heat sink spacers to take up the extra room you make with it - otherwise your LED lens assembly will rattle around in there a LOT. the box is made for the tiny momentary switches in the store. a crystal chamber in that choke will be a royal PITA - good luck on that. oh and this is going to be a VERY long saber.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

I agree, from what I have read the LEDengin 10w are way to voltage hungry, so will most likely go with a 5W. I will most likely get the MHS ribbed extension shortned by about half too 3/5's, that should help with the length problem, I'll make sure I remember to have a couple heat sink spacers, nothing worse than a rattle lol.
    I figured the a crystal chamber in that choke will be a royal PITA, but ill have a go, and if its just going to be to much, ill leave the choke as it is.
    Thanks for your help.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

if you DO decide on doing a CC in that choke, i HIGHLY recommend you only have a window on one side. you don't want to destroy the integrity of the piece by weakening it too much. ^_^

i suppose that if you just cut off the end of the ribbed/grooved part and dremeled the threads off of the choke to where it fit and used set screws to hold it in, that should work...

Think thats an improvment, only 1 window now sigh lol, hope this saber turns out as good as the pick, lol

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

the pic isn't working for me...

My Saber Design.jpg
    Hoping that better

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

yep, that works. ^_^ looks a lot more solid that way.

Not a bad design. A tad too "Sith-y" for my taste, but it's your saber, after all.

A word of caution, though. If this is your first time building a saber, I would highly recommend starting with something a bit more simple - something like the demo setup in the bottom of my signature. Believe me, I remember all too well how easy it is for someone new to the hobby to let their reach exceed their grasp, and end up with a pile of ruined electronics and useless wiring for their trouble - mostly because that's exactly what happened to me.

I though of that kinda emitter a while ago...
    But some other projects got ahead of it.

Anyways, I really like your design, and I suggest the Darkmeat'ed PC for the electronics.