Thread: 2 New PVC lightsabers, Destiny and Unnamed Jedi

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

IG-88, I could go blue or green for this one, I haven't decided yet. The blue does look nice though.

Bothrops, it is a combination of plumbing and electrical pipes and one electrical pipe joiner for the switch cover.
    Starting from the pommel end, The screw plug and connector are the same plumbing connections as used for destiny (see component pics earlier in the thread). Then instead of using a plumbing connector to join the screw pommel to the main tube, it is inserted into a 27.5mm ID 32mm OD electrical conduit which is the main sleeve of the saber. Inside this is a 20mm flexible electrical conduit for the grip, and at the business end a piece of 23.5mm ID 26.5mm OD plumbing pipe which holds the 20mm (actually about 22mm) polycarbinate blade.
    Over the top of the switch area is a 32mm electrical joiner with the inner stop at the centre ground out. The switch is a push fit into the inner plumbing pipe, and the sleeve and switch cover are ground out a little bigger to allow the switch to be inserted. This gives some protection from accidentally activating or deactivating the rocker switch. There will be some hard drive screws and glue used to hold the parts together. Unfortunately I don't have any more covertec buttons to add to this one.
    The flexible conduit for the grip is pretty narrow inside. I can only fit AAA battery holders in there.

EDIT

I have finished the design of the new saber called Leverage, and am just about to go out and paint it. I added a plate screwed onto the back of the grip area to add some interest in an otherwise boring area of the hilt. Colour is silver inner tube, switch cover plate, grip top, and pommel sections. Main outer sleeve is black, and the ribbed grip is bronze. Anyway here is the photoshopped colour test. I'll post the finished hilt when it has dried.

2nd EDIT

Well I have just painted and assembled the hilt (no electrics installed yet) and here are the photos. What I thought was Bronze paint turned out to be aged copper. The grip top is screwed on with 4 small hard drive screws recessed into the plastic. The silver hammereed paint didn't turn out quite right as the can was near the end and seemed to be flatter than before, ah well such is life. I would like to find a nice silver spray that keeps it's luster without staying sticky and coming off in your hand.
    I have decided to go with the blue LED for this saber. I still have to make the blade and tip for this saber and once I have done that I'll post the finished photos. That could take a week as it takes a while to sand the blade, grind the tip and put the film inside the blade.

I am happy with the design of this saber, but not the paint. I think I'll have to source some better paint for the next one. What do you think?

Last edited by Sloda Foade; 01-09-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added update to colour
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight