Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke-SkyMarcher's "New Sith"

Default Luke-SkyMarcher's "New Sith"

Ok, I figured it was high time I posted a progress thread for one of my sabers. When it is finished, this will have been the third saber I machined from scratch.

This is a saber a kid commissioned me to make. We did a lot of back-and-forth on the design, to get the cost to where he could afford it, and still have a design he liked. This is what we came up with:

Though, at the last minute, he decided to change the blade color to red; I think it fits this hilt design better.

While I don't care much for the design myself, there are a few challenging design elements to make things interesting to build, most specifically the claws.

The claws were based on the old MHS claw style 2. I decided to make them out of 1/4" aluminum plate. First, I drew the template.

Then, I made copies and attached them to the aluminum plate.

I used a table saw with a metal cutting blade to do the rough cutting.

At this point, I had the other parts of the saber machined to this point: (I hadn't taken any progress pics previous to that)

After I did the rough cut for the claws, the templates were so mutilated, I decided to remove them entirely and make new copies.

About simultaneously with this, I machined the blade holder.

Here it is with the other pieces again.

The pommel was next:

----Side note------

I did some work for the "guts" around this point; I wanted to try my hand at the "make your own driver" project, and this seemed an ideal project to do it with. I also wanted to do some really basic chassis with washers and threaded rod.

----/Side note------

I ended up using the mill to get the claws to shape; it was actually easier than I thought it would be.

After doing each claw individually, I took off the templates and lined them up, and re-did all the sides, just enough to make sure they were as close to identical as I could get them.

Here they are after being cleaned up a bit.

The part that caused a bit more concern was the attachment of the claws to the emitter. From all my previous experience, I knew that drilling (much less milling!) on a cylinder can be very difficult to get just how you want it. Getting four milled slots exactly lined up and perpendicular looked to be pretty much impossible.
    After researching, I found the solution; a spin index. Trouble is, the largest stock this fairly inexpensive "spindex" could hold was 1 1/8"... so I machined an adapter so it could hold the blade holder. After setting it up, actually milling the slots was cake - and they came out pretty nicely.

While the part was still in the spindex, I moved it to the drill press, and drilled the holes for the mounting of the claws - clear through the claws and into the blade holder, to make sure the holes all lined up.

While I had the opportunity, I figured I might as well do the blade screw as well, exactly halfway between two of the milled slots.

While it was still mounted in the spindex, I tapped the holes. I also counter-bored the holes in the claws. Then I did a test fit to see how it all came together:

Bringing it back to the saber, this is how it looks:

After drilling and tapping the rest of the holes to hold it together, and doing some more clean up, here are some final pictures before powder coating.

Parts:

Saber:

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

So far so good man!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Lookin' good.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its good to see you are still making Sabers.I don't care for the design much, but look forward to seeing the build process!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

excellent design. i'm rather fond of the angular look of the claws. i look forward to seeing more pictures of this build! ^_^

Fantastic. Can't wait to see it all finished.
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.

"make your own driver"?
    Did you make the plans for it, or get them from somewhere else? Is it a constant current driver? I am definitely curious.

Thumbs up

nice machining skillz!

Nice job so far
    LOCKHEED