Hello all...

So I stumbled into this a few days ago and after getting sucked into the forums and all the other information on this site and others for almost 2 days of work, I knew I wanted to build a saber!

Below are some of the design pictures of my first saber concept (sith). My intention is just to use this as a costume prop (belt hanging, no blade) and maybe wall display item. Therefore I am not planning to add a sound board. To give the saber some life and energy as a static item, my intention is to build red leds into the crystal chamber which "pulse" in and out when the blade is off and then are on solid when activated. I also will have pulsing red light in the pommel area. I think that will give it a nice bit of character without the blade and sounds.

At first I wanted it all black, but found it a bit too monochromatic. Then I tried to go back to the silver/black combo but couldn't find a combination I liked. Finally I went back to black but added a leather wrap to the grip to give it some contrast.

So what do some of the experts around here think? I still have to work out some of the mechanical aspects of the design, but it should be doable. Any gotchas or lessons learned that stand out to someone that I should consider? Also, does anyone know of a simple circuit to accomplish the pulsing light?

Thanks and I'll keep documenting the process further as the design evolves and hopefully moves into a build!

Silver / Black:

Exploded view:

All Black:

Current design: