Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Introducing "Overkill"

Default Introducing "Overkill"

Hi all, here is my latest saber. It's a double-bladed staff saber with a modified version of Corbin's quick disconnect system in the center so that it can seperate into two hilts. This is only the second staff saber that I have made and is the first one that seperates into two hilts.

Due to the amount of screws used for each "purpose", I decided to call this saber "Overkill" (though the owner may choose a different name later on). My first thought was to call it "Screwed" but something tells me that name just isn't right for it.

It has no electronics of any kind in it as the person I made it for does not plan on installing any electronics and is instead going to use the saber in a fan film he is making.

-------------------------------

Specs...

What specs?

Oh, here are some specs...

I machined and painted the hilt myself. I then baked the hilt in an oven for 4 hours at 200 degrees until it turned a nice golden brown. I then basted the hilt with some brown gravy... I mean, baked it until the paint cured.

The eight 1.25" x 7/16", rounded-end pieces that are located closer to the blade holder ends of the saber, are shallow depressions filled with 1/16" thick adhesive backed, black foam rubber.

The hilt is 21" long when in staff mode and each hilt is 11.25" when seperated, the handle area is about 1.5" O.D. and the blade holders are designed to hold 3/4" O.D. blades.

----------------------------------

The quick disconnect setup is basically the same as Corbin's except I added a steel nut in one end and a short piece of threaded steel rod in the other. That way you can twist the saber apart/together. You only need to twist slightly past 180 degrees to seperate/join the hilts. It works quite nicely. I also have eight set screws (four per hilt) that use only pressure to prevent the saber from unscrewing when in staff mode.

Pics...

You may notice that when in staff mode and with the length of the saber in a horizontal position, that there are four lengthwise rows of screws in the center of the hilt, each 90 degrees apart, with what looks like eight screws per line. In fact there are only four screws per line. In the pic below, the ones circled in green use pressure to keep the hilt from unscrewing/seperating in the center and the ones in red are permanently JB-Welded in. The ones not circled are not screws at all but are depressions machined right into the hilt and painted black in order to create the illusion of set screws being there. I think said illusion works quite well if I do say so myself... and I do.

The ones circled in red are helping to hold the coupler pieces in, even though those pieces are also held in via JB-Weld. Hey, I just wanted to make sure those coupler pieces never come out or twisted inside the hilt... now I'm sure they won't, lol.

The set screws that can be seen on the coupler pieces when the staff is seperated, are also JB-Welded in place. This means that the eight set screws that use pressure to keep the saber from unscrewing when in staff mode are pinned against steel, not aluminum. This is to prevent dimpling/dents that would appear over time if the screws were pinned against aluminum instead.

Each blade holder uses four set screws to hold the blade in. Again, I just wanted to be sure the blade would not come out when those screws are tightened... ever!

Anyway, I hope you like it (even though it has no electronics).
    Last edited by ARKM; 10-28-2019 at 06:39 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

certainly is nice. wish it had some electronics in it though. would love to see that lit up.

Thumbs up

Strong work!!! Very nice job there!

-C
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I really like this hilt. Strong effort man!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

these are great sabers man. as always you have some seriously impressive skills. I really like the design of them a lot.

I think this might be my favorite double saber to date and considering I love my own curved double, that's saying a lot.

The coupler I feel is complete. Corbins design, IMO was always the most solid design. I believe LM did a similar job, using a thumb screw to dis engage the two, but it's not a "quick" disconnect. The couple on my sabers is a "quick" disconnect but is not as solid as I'd like. By having the bolt and nut your's is a quick disconnect and is solid. Great idea there, you know that's going to become standard now.

I love the look of the saber and somehow the "overkill" of set screws, actually gives it it's character.

Quality.

Just wish it had sound.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

Thats another great looking saber, I'm liking it alot, the only other thing I have to saber is a saber that looks that good, deserves sound, ofsome description but thats just my opinion. Great work

i do like youre overkill!
    ...YUP!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pity those beautiful Sabers (saber?) don't have any guts...

This saber is very nice! I like it a lot.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...