Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Modified Hasbro Blasters

Default Modified Hasbro Blasters

Recently I've been working various blaster. I got these two finished this weekend and took pics of them yesterday.

I'll start with the General Grievous blaster first as that was the first one finished. I replaced the original LED with a 1w led star I got from china. I glued the LED and optics in a piece of MR blade and then glued that to the bottom of the plastic light up part. I sanded the plastic part slightly to defuse the light better.

Then I painted it. I wanted it to have a used look so I painted it the same way as I did my Nerf gun. I started with a matt black base coat, then went over it with a really thin coat of silver. I made sure not to put it on to heavy so that some of the black would still be seen. I then went over the silver with a thin coat of black, again making sure that some of the silver still came through. I then went over it again with silver and then with some more black. Next I dry brushed silver on parts to mimic the paint wearing away. I then gave the whole thing a matt clear coat. So here it is:

Now the Stormtrooper E-11 blaster. Again I replaced the original LED with a 1w led and relocated it from the front of the blaster to the rear of the barrel so it will light it up. I mounted the led and optics in the end of a 8" section of MR blade and then put in just over 3 feet of polypropylene to defuse the light for the rest of the tube. This was then glued in place inside the blaster.

I cut the plastic out from under the scope mount rail so it looked more like the original blasters. I also got one of doopydoos conversion kits of ebay and glued that on.

Next I made the scope more functional. When taking the balster apart for the first time I had to destroy the original caps on the scope as they were glued on but a quick trip to a DIY store helped witht that. I found a pvc end cap that fitted on the rear large end and found a small torch that had a small piece that would fit the small end of the scope. I put in two lenses, a large one at the rear, that was from a watch, and a small one, from a tiny magnifiying glass, at the front. In both ends I put in pieces of red Lee Filters and put a Reticle similar to the MR scope in the large end but see through. It makes everything go upside down but I can live with that.

I then painted it. This was a xxx to paint because of all the nooks and crannies but I managed it to paint it all matt black in several coats. I then gave it a matt clear coat. For now I'm leaving it as is but I may at some point I may dry brush some silver on to different parts to mimic the paint wearing away.

One thing I wasn't to happy about with the E-11 balster was that the LED wasn't very bright but after some tentitive experiments I found out that if you replace the normal 2 AA batteries with 2 TrustFire 14500 Lithium Battery it not only increases the brightness of the LED but it increases the loudness of the blaster. So here the pics:

Then finally both of them together:

Up next will be a DL-44 blaster, then another more accurate E-11.
    Last edited by chaos; 09-16-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Youngling

those are awesome, sabers are more speed. However I can really apperciate the blasters!!

They could really nice. Replacing 2AA with li-ions...wouldn't that give it too much juice?
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

He probably wired them in parallel to give it 3.7 - 4v instead of the 3 it was getting with the Alkaline batteries. Probably gonna have PLEEEEENTY of run time too

Oh, really like your weathering technique btw, looks very realistic! A+++
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Most excellent! Gimme back my blaster!!!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Nice work there! I really like the realistic paint job you did too.
    Follow Your Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by HAVOK View Post
    those are awesome, sabers are more speed. However I can really apperciate the blasters!!
    Lightsabers are also much less clumsy than those blasters...

I would love to do a blaster or two, but the wife said she'd rather have food and shelter than me going <Pew pew> all the time in front of the mirror; so for now I will just envy you. Great job, looks like the hard work paid off.
    Some may leave The Jedi Order; but few leave it alone.

Nice! I'm not familiar with those blasters but they do look great. It's nice to see more blasters here lately. Very inspiring. I'm going to have to try a few.