Thread: Forum Searching Tip

Default Forum Searching Tip

As we all know, the search function is an amazing tool, and many people need to learn how to use it a little more. But no matter how familiar you are with searching, there are still a few flaws with the system. Mainly the inability to find strings less than 3 characters long. Well I have a solution for all you boys and girls out there.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the amazing-ness that is Google. There is a very simple feature in Google that allows you to search specific websites. I don't usually do this for most website's, but for forum searching I have found it to be an invaluable tool. So for today's lesson....

If you type in:

site:anywebsitehere.com your query

Google will search only the website you entered for what you are looking for.

So say you were interested in searching the forum here for a PVC saber with a P4 in it. You would type into the Google search box:

site:forums.thecustomsabershop.com PVC P4

And there you go, you are now searching TCSS forum for words that are less than 3 characters long.

Class dismissed.

Very cool tip Azryel. Thanks.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

well to find stuff less then 3 charecter long isn't hard if you know the trick of how to fool thye system.....say you want pvc you use pvc* use the asterick and it comes up with what you are looking for

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    I remember that there was a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=9527

Great advice on the three letter search.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

EDIT: Spammer was taken care of.
    Last edited by RevengeoftheSeth; 09-10-2010 at 10:43 PM.