Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ok for REAL this time...

Default Ok for REAL this time...

Alright with my new expenses that will have to go into my car, I need to cut back. So I came up with a much more cost effective, yet attractive saber design. The electronics aren't gonna be nearly as ***y as the other one, but hey, it IS my first build afterall. I'm going strictly with LDM's noob tutorial on this one, except for the powder coating of course. So here goes:

- Screw on LED blade holder style 12
    - Hilt style 4 with standard style switch hole
    - MPS Pommel style 8
    - LED "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD
    * Double Wrap
    * Bullet Shaped
    - Build Your Own Luxeon III Electronics Kit
    * 4AAA battery holder
    * Red
    * Collimator Lens 5° viewing angle
    * 2.2ohm 5w resistor
    * Push on/push off switch with black button
    * Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
    - 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw
    - 2 Wire quick connector
    - Drill & Tap Hole (8-32)
    - Powder Coating (Solar Flat Black, B121...Red, SH43...Solar Flat Black, PM81)

P.s. The color on the hilt is going to be RED. I'm not sure why it's coming up that color on the Builder.. it may just be my computer monitor. If so, disregard.

Looks good to me...

Few questions still remain:

1. What will you use to keep the insert in place? Might I suggest this?

2. What will you use to secure the batteries inside the hilt? I really recommend this. (you can use it without the speaker, just glue the battery pack there and you've got yourself a good mount.)

3. I believe that you are aware that the 5 degree lenses won't fit to the lens holder, they need to be modified a bit.

4. Also, if you want the basic black switch to look a LOT better, then I recommend this.

Oh and its not about your monitor that it looks bronze, it's about the builder.

Good luck!

Thanks, Rafalema! Lots of good tips, especially about the speaker mount! I'm definitely getting that now.

Alright people, I'm making a change:
    Instead of buying the Lux III Battery Kit, I'm going to buy all the components separately so that I can buy the 8.7 degree lens instead of having to buy the 5 degree lens the kit comes with. Don't worry they're both the same price, so I'm not having to pay any more. So here are the parts:

- 4AAA Battery Holder
    - Luxeon Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
    - 2.2ohm 5w resistor
    - Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
    - Luxeon III Star
    - Push on/push off switch with black button

Don't use a 5 degree unless its a long blade or a 3/4"
    Don't use an 8.7 degree unless you're using a rebel or LEDengin
    Get a 10 degree

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

either lens is fine.

When folks say "the 5 degree doesn't fit without modification", they really mean "the two little plastic tabs are slightly bigger than they should be, and it takes about 2 careful minutes with a file or x-acto knife to shave them down and then they fit fine".

oh, and be sure you do NOT use superglue if you glue the lens to the lens holder, etc. It will turn your super transparent lens into barely translucent.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

I also recommend using the rebel with the 8.7 lens or the lux 3 with 10 degree. Remember the red rebel runs at 700ma & the lux 3 will be brighter but needs 1400ma.

In translation to those who are like mah what? That means rebels won't drain your battery as fast as a lux. Correct?

Don't forget to use rechargeable batteries..lol.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 08-02-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Mah is different than ma. You must look at Wh or watt hour ratings when comparing batteries. Yes the Rebel will run longer. I recommend using Li-Ion 18650 batteries. Way more capacity than anything else, & lite too.

So how long does it take to draw 700ma then?

To keep it noob friendly then a rebel won't drain your disposable batteries as fast as a lux3.