Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coverteck Button 8/32 socket head

Default Covertec Button 8/32 socket head

I looked everywhere for information but couldn't find any, so I ask this here. I plan to use the Covertec button to attach my saber to my belt. My problem is this. The socket screw that you get from TCSS seemed a bit too short to be able to hold the button in place on the hilt. I've already drilled and tapped the hole for threading and all that and went to screw the button on but found I couldnt seem to get it to go in, and I used a fair amount of force (I was careful not to use so much that I'd break something) to no avail. Any suggestions here? If not, is there a glue substance I can use to make it stick and not fall off should the hilt swing a bit when attached to the belt via the covertec button and clip? Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by Mastrada101; 08-07-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Mispelled Titile of post

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You should be using this screw.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/8-...head-P107.aspx
    It sits flush with the inside of the hilt when installed.

If you're trying to hold in a chassis or something, then this screw gives you an extra 1/8"
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/8-...head-P414.aspx
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

That IS the screw I'm using. I thought I made that clear with the post title.

Did you tap the hole with the correct 8-32 tap? It's hard to tell the difference between it and a 10-32 tap just by looking at it.

I've used that screw on every saber I've built to hold the Covertec button on, and it's always had plenty of length to attach the button to the saber. Without pictures of your hilt and the button it's hard to tell you what the problem is.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I have another question. What materials are the hilt main bodies/extentions/chokes etc. made out of?

I believe it is T-6 Grade to be exact.

Arghhh!!! Not again with the aircraft grade. The term aircraft grade is highly misleading. They use several different alloys (grades if you will) of aluminum in building an aircraft. They use titanium, stainless steel and composites to build aircraft also. Ever hear anyone say they are making something from Aircraft Grade Stainless Steel or Aircraft Grade Carbon Fiber? Probably not. Calling something Aircraft Grade is nothing more than a marketing gimmick to make people feel like they are buying something a little more special. Usually when someone says Aircraft Grade, they are refering to 6061 aluminum - the most common aluminum alloy produced. I would imagine most, if not all, the MHS parts are made from 6061 aluminum. 6061 is near the bottom in terms of structural strength. 2024 is a much higher strength alloy, and 7075 is one of the strongest alloys. Accordingly, the higher the strength, the more expensive the alloy.

So, to answer the question. I believe most MHS parts are 6061 aluminum.

BUT IT SOUNDS SO COOL!!

Who doesn't want to tell their friends that their Lightsaber is made of the same stuff used in Aircraft?!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent