Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: slothfurnace's ANH Graflex (Full crystal chassis)

Quote Originally Posted by slothfurnace View Post
    I once did an art project that got into a gallery of chalk sculptures. They were so tiny and intricate. At the opening someone asked me why I worked so small. On the spot, I came up with this: That I worked small so that if you didn't take the time or effort to walk over and look close, you'd miss it. That you had to invest somethig in me for you to get something from me.

Huh. I guess not Everything's bigger in Texas? *badum-bum*
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That was a bad joke. Sounds like one of mine. LOL

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Well, that last post of slothfurnace explains a lot. Not only is he a skilled craftsman: he's an accomplished artist, as well. A lot of sabersmith's have the technical skills, and some have the artistic sensibility, but not many have both. And even fewer have both in such quantity.

Therefore, I say we vote him off the island.

Joke!
    There's always a bigger fish.

It always bothered me that the gallery scene seems to think art needs a message, a reason, or to represent something. Why can't it just look nice?

Too often I find the concepts in art seem like an excuse for lack of craftsmanship or even talent for that matter..lol.

The school I went to was very conceptual and IMO a waste of time.

It sounds like you have a well rounded artist experience going on and you're very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Well, that last post of slothfurnace explains a lot. Not only is he a skilled craftsman: he's an accomplished artist, as well. A lot of sabersmith's have the technical skills, and some have the artistic sensibility, but not many have both. And even fewer have both in such quantity.

Therefore, I say we vote him off the island.

Joke!
    Eeek, don't vote me off the island, I just got here!

Also, the rest of my artworks and stuff are here at http://www.nonentity.com

Also, the rest of my artworks and stuff are here at http://www.nonentity.com
    I'm actually relieved to see that you are an experienced professional artist and craftsman. Now we don't have to feel so bad about our own amateurishness. (People, this gentleman had a major hand in making Doom 4, and made every pixel on the iPhone/iTouch app "Dungeon Defense," which I just now purchased and downloaded. )

Crystal, oy vey! Don't get me started! You should have seen the chilly reception our new Department of Comic Art got from the other members of the Faculty of Art back in 2000. "Art" that requires explanation or access to arcane "knowledge" to be understood is lousy art indeed, if you ask me. Abstract Impression ruined everything, and continues to do so more than a century later.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I just wish I had 1/4 the talent as you do slothfurnace. I do know that you have really inspired me with your work. I am sure that you have inspired others too. I really look forward to seeing more of your work.

P.S. I vote to keep you on the Island. Can I be in your Alliance? LOL

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Nope, a small place called Eustace, TX.
    Small world. I went to school in Eustace for 3 years before my parents got divorced. Ended up graduating in Athens.

Quote Originally Posted by Scars Unseen View Post
    Small world. I went to school in Eustace for 3 years before my parents got divorced. Ended up graduating in Athens.
    I graduated from Athens.

I grew up in Eustace, I transferred to Athens in 2nd Grade.

Small world indeed.