Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possibly upgrading my saber and I have a few questions

Default Possibly upgrading my saber and I have a few questions

Ok I am thinking of upgrading my personal saber to be brighter and last a bit longer and I have a few questions. but first here it my current saber set up

MHS hilt with a MR Yoda board, TCSS premium speaker, Seoul P4 blue and lighted latching AV switch all powered by 4 AAA alkaline cells.

My first question is would a Single 3.7 volt lithium cell be enough to power the whole rig and increase the brightness of the P4?

If i were to put a buckpuck into the circuit to overdrive the P4 would i put it before or after the clash sensor?

and lastly would one of those JST 4 wire QD plugs they sell in the TCSS store fit through the hole i drilled for my AV switch? my plan is to put the switch on a disconnect so i can easily remove it if i need to work on the saber. right now it is just hardwired in

thank you for the help and suggestions
    Last edited by Sidd; 04-18-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    -Sidd-

1. The Li-Ion cell will be enough to power the soundboard, but I have no idea will it increase the brightness.

2. I don't know what you would achieve with a buckpuck, but it would come after the clash sensor.

3. Not at the same time I think

I also wan't to know if the 4-wire connector would fit. My thoughts were, if not, then put on 2 JST connectors, one with slightly longer wires from the switch, so I can pull one out, and then the other without a big squeeze.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I recently used a 4 wire QD on my saber with a 22mm hole , yes it will fit but only if you modify it

I took the two "wings" (guess you could call them tabs) off and it fits just fine.

You can kind of see the part i am referring to at the top of this picture here:

Also I am told that 3.7 will run it in theory, but that to use 4-6v is best.
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 04-18-2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

A buck puck wouldn't overdrive the led, since it's output is only 1000ma, and the Yoda outputs very close to that if not more with a 4.8v/6v set up like you have now. A buck puck also has a minimum input voltage of 5 volts, so a single Li-Ion 18650 wouldn't properly power it. You don't need the buck puck anyway, the board will drive the led just fine by itself.

Another thing that may work for you is to swap out the 4-AAA battery holder for the 4-AA battery holder TCSS stocks. This might allow you to mount the sound board on top of the battery holder. You would of course, also have to replace your speaker mount with the v3 if you used a v2 in this saber.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only ways to increase the brightness of a lightsaber is

-feed it more "ma".
    - Buy a 5W or even 10W LED, the LEDenginge 10W is the brightest LED I know of that is used in sabers.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Then he'd need to change the battery solution too, don't forget.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Yoda board = ~1A
    buckpuck = 1A

Therefore, no need to change.

a 3.7V battery (when fully charged) is actually about 4.2V and that board is made to run on 4.5 V so, you would not see a difference in functionality, but you would indeed save a bit of space and would be able to wire in a recharge/kill setup so you never need to open the saber.

As for the connector, a 4 wire does fit with mods, but I would recommend (2) of the JST connectors like skottsaber suggested or PM me for further advice.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post

... a 3.7V battery (when fully charged) is actually about 4.2V and that board is made to run on 4.5 V so, you would not see a difference in functionality, but you would indeed save a bit of space and would be able to wire in a recharge/kill setup so you never need to open the saber. ...
    Couldn't have put it better myself
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~