Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Palpatine style robes/cloaks?

Default Palpatine style robes/cloaks?

Hello all,

Im mainly interested in getting an Emperor/Palpatine style robes. (Easiest Star Wars Costume in my opinion) I would like them to be pretty heavy, not those light über-thin thingies that cost less than 15 $. Most likely, it should be rough black cotton on the outside, and if possible, red velvet on the inside.

Anyone has any ideas? Will I have to do it myself, or is there a place to buy?

Thank you

Sounds a bit more like a grievous robe, black on the outside, red on the inside...

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Banned Sith Lord

Did you even look at the links that were brought up? He said he wanted them to be inexpensive. Around 15 bucks. I cant find ONE on any website that is below 40 bucks. You fail.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    I would like them to be pretty heavy, not those light über-thin thingies that cost less than 15 $.
    I think you missed something in his post.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I fail.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Material wise wool was origninally used. that is $20 a yard, so I don't think you'll be wanting to use that....

I used a sued (sp) material for my cloak it looks really nice. One of these Days I'll get pics up...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

It seems that $tarkiller might not be the only one having a hard time reading.

DJ, that was kindof a snarky thing to post, and if you looked at the majority of costumes for sale that your search pulled up you would find that they are the red velvet robes, and Raf already said that he wanted black robes that are lined in red.

CC, he didn't say anything about having a budget for his robes, in fact he specifically said he DIDN'T want cheapo robes, so why would you assume that he can't afford $20 per yard? My robe is black wool lined with cotton, and I can tell you that the quality is worth the steep price tag. Also, it's spelled "suede".

And nobody yet has really answered his question either.

Raf, you don't HAVE to do it yourself, but you can if you feel confident in your sewing abilities. Making your own is always cheaper, but you may sacrifice quality. If you want to make your own costume, you can pick up one of those generic star wars costume patterns by simplicity. If your local fabric store doesn't have them in stock, you can find them easily on ebay. I would NOT suggest buying your fabric online though. You will want to pick it out yourself so you know how heavy it will be, how it will feel to wear it, and exactly what color it is. Choose your material carefully. Robes are heavy and you won't want to use anything too stretchy or it will become distorted under it's own weight. You will also want to consider where and when you plan to wear your robe. Choose lighter fabrics for warmer weather, and reserve wool for cooler events. Going to a convention in the middle of summer and having to wear wool all day long is going to suck.

If you want to commission someone else to make a costume for you, you can try googling combinations of the following search terms; custom costume design service commission. You can also check Ebay, where some costumers auction off their services in addition to their costumes. Local theaters and historical reenactors may also be able to put you in contact with someone who can make a robe for you. My personal favorite is Twin Rose Designs, but get ready to empty your wallet, they are not cheap.

I hope that actually helped you.

there is a place on ebay called outer robes. They are great. It really has the movie look and feel to it. The hood is nice and big just like the movie. It was like $100 but it is really nice, and warm too.