Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED swap question

Default LED swap question

Hi all, I am running a board with a 3.7v battery.
    There is a 3v 20mA red LED on it now.

I want to swap it out with a laser diode.

Specifications:
    Type: Red Laser Dot Diode Module.
    Working voltage: 3.3V.
    Wave length: 650nm.
    Output power: 5mW.
    Requires 13mA
    Shape of the laser light: Dot.
    Working temperature: -36 Degree Centigrade to 65 Degree centigrade
    Material of the housing: Copper.
    Outer diameter: 6mm /0.24"

Can I just swap these out one for one?
    Last edited by imagehunter; 12-01-2022 at 11:30 PM.

It doesn’t sound like it, you’re basically exchanging an accent LED for a main LED from the sound of it. Also, there is a key detail missing in item#2, the amperage it needs to run.

Knowing what the board is would also be helpful.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

if it helps I have a saber with a red 5mW laser diode operating off one of the CFX accent pads which max outputs 3.3v 20mA. Operates just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    It doesn’t sound like it, you’re basically exchanging an accent LED for a main LED from the sound of it. Also, there is a key detail missing in item#2, the amperage it needs to run.
    It needs 13mA to run. So if I try it what could happen? I can live with it just not working but I can't afford to blow the board.

Quote Originally Posted by imagehunter View Post
    It needs 13mA to run. So if I try it what could happen? I can live with it just not working but I can't afford to blow the board.
    you would likely need to replace the resistor that is in place for the LED so it is feeding 13mA to the laser diode rather than the 20mA the original LED is being supplied. is this going to be supplied directly to the battery or is it going through a sound board?

Yes, you would need a different resistor. Which one depends on where the power is coming from. If it’s from a CFX accent pads, then you use 3.3V and 20 mA as your source.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    if it helps I have a saber with a red 5mW laser diode operating off one of the CFX accent pads which max outputs 3.3v 20mA. Operates just fine.
    What resistor are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    you would likely need to replace the resistor that is in place for the LED so it is feeding 13mA to the laser diode rather than the 20mA the original LED is being supplied. is this going to be supplied directly to the battery or is it going through a sound board?
    It is going through the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Yes, you would need a different resistor. Which one depends on where the power is coming from. If it’s from a CFX accent pads, then you use 3.3V and 20 mA as your source.
    I'm using this board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJXtVIn-voU

The idea is to make a Star Trek/Wars Phaser/Lightsaber.

This is the laser I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/RLECS-10-Pack-...ps%2C92&sr=8-5
    Last edited by imagehunter; 12-03-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imagehunter View Post
    I'm using this board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJXtVIn-voU

The idea is to make a Star Trek/Wars Phaser/Lightsaber.

This is the laser I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/RLECS-10-Pack-...ps%2C92&sr=8-5
    Hmmm... going by what I can tell, the pad for the 'fire' red LED is probably a fixed 3.3v 20mA source to power that specific LED. So you should be able to calculate any resistor you may need from that assumption. LED diodes can be overdriven a bit so long as there is a way to dissipate the heat (just like a high powered LED now that I think about it) but it would be at a reduction of the lifespan of the diode.