Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: first cfx build help

Question first cfx build help

I'm trying to build my first saber and want a blinking switch box, like on Luke's ROTJ saber, but don't know how to wire up the switch box and can't find any diagrams.

Hoping someone here has done a build with TCSS LS6 pcb and CFX board and can provide some help.

Well, it all depends on the PCB being used, the newer ones are pixel and have labeled data in/out pads that will make it much easier to wire up. As for attaching them to the CFX, there's two ways you can do it. One, is you can just attach them to the main data line then in configs the first two pixels in the blade would be for the box pixels, but personally I would recommend hooking the box PCB into the LS2 pad on the bottom of the CFX, this is the secondary data line and is useful for accent pixels.

Here's the box PCB: https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/B...ade-P1925.aspx

Meant for Box 28: https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/B...kit-P1377.aspx

And I would recommend this replacement style securement as it is a bit more solid in my opinion: https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/B...ade-P1924.aspx

While you can technically use the PCB that comes with the box, it requires some work arounds and breaking of traces to get to work properly, and would also take up 4 accent pads on the CFX. If you want to go that route I can provide a guide on how to wire it, but with the newer pixel PCB it's unnecessary imo.

Thank you,
    I already have the parts, I have the data out pad from pixel one wired to the data in pad on pixel two, they're wired in to the ls2 pad, they don't light up (although neither is the blade so i'm going to recheck my wiring, my only other thought is that i need thicker gauge wire (using 26 gauge for the whole thing)

You will definitely need thicker wire for the Neopixel parts.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    You will definitely need thicker wire for the Neopixel parts.
    Would 24 gauge be a better wire to switch to for power to the NPXL connector?

24 gauge if you double up, I personally use 20 gauge so I can keep it to a single line of positive and negative (you can also do this with 22, but I like to have some leeway on amp load). As for the data on LS2, you need to make sure you have the config set correctly in order for data out to be working. I believe it's auxstrip=-2 since there is only 2 pixels on the board. That will give the data out, then you can alter how they behave via the PIXIES folder.

the wire gauges is for the power delivery btw, everything else can be lower gauge wire (accent LEDs, switch lines, data lines).
    Last edited by RavenXp; 11-06-2022 at 12:28 PM.

I agree with what RavenXP said. I use 20 gauge for the power and a Neopixel connectors, but I split them off so that there are two pos and neg to the connectors.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The PIXIES folder should be right in Extras on the card right? Because last time I looked to configure it, I couldn’t find the file

Quote Originally Posted by Blinding_Phoenix View Post
    The PIXIES folder should be right in Extras on the card right? Because last time I looked to configure it, I couldn’t find the file
    Just double checked and I can confirm I do not have the PIXIES folder adjusting the ls2 pad configuration

the 'auxstrip=' parameter is in config.txt, and yes PIXIES is in the Extra's folder, if you are missing it you need to pull the most recent default package from the plecter site to get it. Also verify which firmware you are running, current version is 7F.