Thread: CFX wiring help. 3 attempts. 2 neopixel won't light, 3rd resulted in smoke

Default CFX wiring help. 3 attempts. 2 neopixel won't light, 3rd resulted in smoke

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to wire a hilt with CFX for the first time after doing several Proffie installs. I'm using the wiring diagram posted on the TCSS facebook page. My first attempt didn't go well. Everything seems to work but the blade I have used for other builds didn't light up. I thought it was because I didn't follow the wiring diagram exactly and I am unfamiliar with Shtok PCBs. I tried a different board and followed the wiring diagram exactly with a TCSS PCB and I still had the same issue. Tried updating the board via USB as well. Everything seems to work but the PCB isn't lighting up. Now since I was still having trouble, I decided to do everything outside of the hilt to make sure there weren't any issues.

I got a new board, recharge port, TCSS 11-pin pre-soldered PCB, 22 AWG PTFE wire, 30 AWG wire (for speakers and data), and my switches. Wired everything and it seemed to start fine. The second I connected the neopixel blade to the pcb the board started smoking. I immediately stopped, put the kill key in and looked. Even asked my dad and I can't find anything wrong. I don't have a camera on me right now (phone recently cracked after dropping it) but I'll try and get pictures soon. Any help would be appreciated though. I've possibly gone through 3 CFX boards which isn't cheap and its super demoralizing.

TL;DR

After doing several proffie installs, I've tried to install a hilt with CFX with 3 separate boards. Everything seemed to work for the first two attempts except the blade wouldn't light up. Did 3rd attempt outside of hilt and when I connected the blade, the board started to smoke.

What battery did you use? And pics (close up and very high resolution) of the wiring would be extremely helpful.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    What battery did you use? And pics (close up and very high resolution) of the wiring would be extremely helpful.
    I'll be able to post pics tmrw. The battery is:
    JST Sony Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 15A 3120mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery

20200814_163554.jpg
    20200814_163538.jpg

Sorry for posting these so late. I've been busy with work and haven't had time for much else. I can attach more pictures if needed.

It kinda looks like the yellow switch wire has bridged the CPU with solder. Also, are you powering your pixels from the positive terminal of the CFX? I wouldn't do that, it's best to power the pixels directly from the battery. I'd also bridge your LED out pads and only run a single 22 AWG lead to the negative terminal of your pixel PCB. It looks like your data line is the same color and gauge as your LED lines. Is it possible you mixed it up and connected the wrong wires at the PCB end?