Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MR 05 Vader mod, like it or hate it?

Default MR 05 Vader mod, like it or hate it?

the vader switch box assembly i thought needed some improvement, and could benefit from a little better looking setup than the pins that are used so i browsed parts and found a reproduction heiland clamp rod that looked as though it would fit what i wanted to do with this hilt.

first off all the photos i have seen of the vader hilt had the clamp rod lever on the right side of the box so i figured out how i would go about getting it there. the heiland rod is threaded on one side and i wanted to have this not only look better but work better than the mr setup so i went to the hardware store and picked up a bag of 10/32 zinc hex nuts to fit. after removing the pins and plates from the vader i decided that i wanted to grind down the nut so it would fit back into the recesion where the flat side of the stock pin would seat. using a conical grinder bit on my dremel and a pair of vise grips i cut down the nut till it fit inside the plate with just enough clearance that i could turn it with my finger without binding.

the plastic center of the mr box has small plastic t's which match cutouts on the plates and help hold everything together. if i were to assemble the box at this point the clamp rod would be on the left of the box. since i wanted it on the right i cut off the t's.

before putting the center piece back in i turned the switch around so that it activated towards the pommel instead of the emitter. the clamp rod is made to fit on a flat surface so you will need to lightly grind the side that sits against the switch box nearest to the hilt body to make it sit flush when assembled. replace the bubble strip and the plates, making shure your plate and nut combo is on the left of your box, insert the threaded end of the clamp rod into the hole in the right plate. with the arm of the rod at an angle from the box turn it till it faces the pommel and has moderate tension, then push the rear side of the arm down to lock it into place.

tell me what you think of this mod ppl, im trying to decide if i want to make this an option to customers in the future. total cost for adding this setup is around 20.00 and takes about an hour.

I like it, i think it looks rather sleek

i likey
    "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber, your skills are complete."

Like I told ya before bro. They Rock! I want to do that to my cyan Vader.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

im trying to find you one at the moment james, i only have one supplier for this part at the moment and he is currently out of stock... but as soon as i can get my hands on them your first on the list

20 dollars for parts and labor? how much does one of those lever clamps cost? I think blast tech has them for like $15 don't they?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Blastech sells the clamp and sidebars. I suspect jjs is probably not getting it from them. "king of parts" on ebay usually has just the clamp.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

as usual xwing is right on the money! i got this lever from king of parts for about 8.00 shipped, the pack of zinc hex nuts was just under 2.00, and for customers i think 10.00 for the agrivation of trimming the nut and assembling it is resonable...

forum members are on your own. i can often help in locating parts at a fair price, but it stands to reason if you werent capable of picking up a dremel and working on a custom lightsaber then you wouldnt be a member in the first place, and i am in no way offering to replicate this setup for any forum member at any cost...

yeah ok, i just went on blast tech and looked. i wonder if you can just buy those lever clamps from a pressure valve.