Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip Material?

Default Grip Material?

<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Can I ask everybody, what type of grip material do you use for your hilts, and where can the material be found? Thanks[]!

Vengus

</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

I will be using motorcycle/bicycle handle grips cut into specific patterns or lengths.

Cain

<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Do they fit Tim's 1.5 inch sink tubes, or are you going with a smaller diameter tube?

Vengus

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and far more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Are we talking grip materials in general or the classic T-grips?

Grips in general.

And I dont know which "brands" will fit Tims 1.5 hilt (which yes I am using). However I used to ride motorcross (dirt bike racing) and currently ride a street bike and have seen several different dia. handlebars both above and below 1.5, so they are out there. You just have to find the certian look or style you want.

Cain

My newest saber, which is being built from Tim's modular saber system, will have a grip that is similar to the thread wrapping found on Japanese Katanas. I have the silk already, and two nice pieces of simulated ray skin. It's gonna be beautiful when it is done.

In the past, I have use T-track type materials like those found on the movie sabers, as well as thick coatings of epoxy-type paints for grips. For a saber I built for a friend, I used a continuous wrapping of red silk and then epoxied it into place.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, for grips in general I've seen lots done. I know of people using 1.5 ID PVC, I've seen basswood sanded and painted to fit, mouse pads cut up, windshield wipers, etc...

If you want specific brands of handle grips or windshield wipers I really don't have a clue there. Perhaps someone can enlighten us both.

When my kits are in (scheduled for delivery today) I will begin looking for the handlebar grips I want, and when I find good ones that fit correctly I will post a brand name. Also, I forgot to mention earlier, you can use skateboard grip tape and cut it into patterns, it is thin, cuts easily, has permenant glue already in place,and holds to almost any smooth surface very well.

Cain

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Ooo... skateboard grip tape. That sounds a lot like what I was looking for for my stunt saber. I'd like to see what kind of other grip type stuff I can find too though. I was going to look into what they use on golf clubs and tennis rackets. I was starring at my roommates tennis racket and really was intrigued by using it to wrap around the hilt.

<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Those are all great ideas, especially the grip tape. Anybody know if anyone sells that rubber/foam stuff that is used for treadmill(etc.) handles? Or maybe comfort grips to pot on hammer or hatchet handles? Any other ideas?

Vengus