Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My new US2.1 MHS saber - polished aluminum and brass

Shiny awesomeness!

(O_O)>o====7--------------------
    Join the dark side!
    ................When they're sleeping, take the browies and cookies and the IMAX TV and run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it. Nice and shiny.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Great work! I'm impressed with the precision of the cuts on those brass strips. I wouldn't have had the patience for it.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Thanks for all the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    Great work! I'm impressed with the precision of the cuts on those brass strips. I wouldn't have had the patience for it.
    Thanks, those were actually a thorn in my side on this project and set it back for about a week. I am all about machines and speed when it comes to cutting and such but I just couldn't get it right with any machine I tried. I have a cut off saw but it was just too big for this. Then I tried a dremel and I couldn't get it uniform. Finally after messing a couple up trying the different things I found a really small miter box at hobby lobby when I was getting another pack of the brass rods. It even had pins to hold the objects in. I used that and a hack saw and had them cut in no time, accurately this time. I was stressing on how I was going to get them right until I found that little miter box. I was even going to try to do it with a regular full size miter box. Here is a link to one like I got except I didn't have the saw with it (just did a google and found it...not promoting that store).

Quote Originally Posted by beggarsoutpost View Post
    What did you use to polish that thing?... I..I can't see...
    another of my hobbies is paint and body work and I have a nice 6" DA sander so I use it with varying papers (stuff I use to sand clear on a car) but you can get the same results hand sanding (its just more work). I start with 800 grit to smooth all the machine marks and slight grooves and to slightly round off corners, then I go over that with 1500 and then I use a trizact 3000 grit foam disk (wet) that pretty much makes the polishing super easy (it looks slightly polished after the 3000 grit). Then I use a 4" spiral sewn buffing wheel on my die grinder (air) with tripoli compound, then 4" loose section buffing wheel and white rouge. I had some larger (6" or 8" cant remember) wheels for my bench top grinder but they went missing a few years ago. I will probably buy some more because that's much easier than using a die grinder.

My final step is to use a really soft cloth (because at this stage a regular cloth can scratch the finish) and mothers polish for the final polishing. Just before taking these pics I rubbed it down with mothers again with rubber gloves on so I wouldn't have any finger prints on it.

I forgot to add that this is actually phase one of this saber. After I started on it I got some other ideas and bought some sink tube and sanded off the chrome and polished the brass on it. I bought another section from the store the other day (regular ribbed section...no v grooved) and when it comes in I am going to use it and the sink tube for an overlay (probably match the lines of the brass pieces on the grip with the sink tube some how). I haven't got the exact design figured out yet but want to work some accent LEDs in as well and I already have a anodized red button cut and drilled from a thumb screw.

I will use that configuration for show and the way I have it now for play. When I figure it out and eventually work on it I will post pics.
    Last edited by Zook; 05-30-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Love the shine! Great saber. What is your polishing technique?
    Cheers!
    Lonewind

looks awsome. top notch work dude.

The measure of true wisdom is the ability to entertain ones idea and not except it as your own.

You can tell you put a lot of work into it and it payed of big time, love the brass and the switch is perfect.

Thats a very cool, shiny saber. Great job.

I polished one of my sabers before but by hand and it took a few days to get it looking good.

Very impressed I am.

Again, this is really cool!
    I can't tell, but are those brass grips raised from the hilt or recessed?
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Zook! Excellent work, you have a great eye and your problem solving skills remind me of...me
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!