Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Micro-mark 7-16 mini lathe

Default Micro-mark 7-16 mini lathe

I知 heavily considering getting this machine. Has anyone had any experience with this particular make and model? Pro vs cons when it comes to saber building?

https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7...MaAuMIEALw_wcB

Check Harbor Freight, with a 20% off coupon you could pay half for essentially the same lathe...
    Also check Grizzly.com they have some great little lathes at good prices..
    One in particular is the 8"X16" G0768... It has METAL gears and variable speed. It is only a little more expensive but you can do much more with it. It comes with a steady rest ( for working with more flexible material) and follow rest as well. If you want a truly awesome mini lathe look at Sherline.com
    k6gad

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    I’m heavily considering getting this machine. Has anyone had any experience with this particular make and model? Pro vs cons when it comes to saber building?

https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7...MaAuMIEALw_wcB
    Last edited by k6gad; 10-09-2017 at 02:53 PM.

I'm not familiar with MicroMark brand but it looks a lot like what is offered by LittleMachineShop (which is descent). The lathes from Harbor Freight are complete junk despite having same or similar specs. Don't waste your money. Sherline and Taig make excellent mini-lathes and the price reflects that.

-Denzil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denz View Post
    I'm not familiar with MicroMark brand but it looks a lot like what is offered by LittleMachineShop (which is descent). The lathes from Harbor Freight are complete junk despite having same or similar specs. Don't waste your money. Sherline and Taig make excellent mini-lathes and the price reflects that.

-Denzil
    Aren't all the 7x16s from MicorMark, Grizzly, LMS, HF, etc the same Chinese Sieg just branded per reseller? I know LMS has their modified "hi-torque" ones with the brushless motors, but they are still all the Sieg models I believe.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Aren't all the 7x16s from MicorMark, Grizzly, LMS, HF, etc the same Chinese Sieg just branded per reseller? I know LMS has their modified "hi-torque" ones with the brushless motors, but they are still all the Sieg models I believe.
    I have heard this same information that they are all made in the same plant especially the milling machines. I will never again by a tool that’s electrical powered from Harber Frieght again.
    I would be interested to know more about this particular product I’m asking about however. As far as The Little Machine Shop their milling machines are excellent from what I hear. I’m guessing their lathes are the same. Shirline is vey nice, but I want something a tad bigger and not as pricey.

I might just go with the LMS mini lathe and forget the Micro Mark. I plan on getting something here shortly.
    Last edited by Jediseth; 10-09-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Many mills and lathes are the same only re-branded and with different color paint and perhaps some of the options being different (those options are often aftermarket and can be bought for ANY of the brands/versions). This is especially true for the X2 mini mill. Little Machine Shop has a nice comparison chart for all the re-branded x2 mini mills here... https://littlemachineshop.com/info/minimill_compare.php . Another example would be the Grizzly G4015Z lathe/mill combo. It's the same as the Shop Fox 1018 lathe/mill combo. The best way to tell if a lathe or mill is the same as another brand is to just look at pics of the two and compare. If they look exactly the same, they ARE the same (and an upside is that the parts are fully interchangeable). I hope that helps.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Yes that helps thanks! I think the LMS is the mini lathe I’m getting. My only deterrent from getting the Shirline is I want something to hold my tubing and it seems the bull nose or ball tail available that Shirline has isn’t large enough to hold material the size I need for turning. I think from what I can tell even though many of the other Lathes are basically the same, The Little Machine Shop offers the best. I also like one of their better milling machines because it’s brushless and doesn’t tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I believe you are correct....k6gad

The Sherline Bull nose live center should work with up to 1 5/8" ID....

Blog Entries

^^truth

whats more important is having a dial caliper to make sure your tube is true from chuck to tail stock. Seth now is a good time to start considering all of the tooling you are going to need in addition to the machine and start budgeting that in. It gets expensive very quickly.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 10-10-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末