Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Securing Accent LED?

Default Securing Accent LED?

So I'm new to the saber scene and haven't build my first saber yet. I've been poking around the forum for a few weeks now trying to gather information and I can't seem to find the answer to my question.

If I use accent LEDs in my hilt, what's the best way to secure them so they don't just slam against the side while I'm swinging it? Is it as simple as a piece of tape or would I need something a bit more substantial?

Any input is appreciated.

depending on the led, it might have a nut to secure it, like a switch does

What if the led is inside the hilt? How would you secure it with a nut without drilling through the hilt like a switch?

can you describe how you plan to use this LED so it's easier to understand what you are trying to do?

E6000 should work.

It's just a concept in my head right now, but assume that there's a window cut out of the hilt which is covered with some translucent material. If I wanted to light that material up, I'd need to place an led behind it somehow.

A different use-case but just as important would be something like in this picture (taken from HHCLS Custom Sabers)

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 1.41.13 PM.jpg

Wiring these is pretty obvious, but the method of attaching it to the hilt eludes me.

Blog Entries

You can really just secure the led to the board or chassis like I did below. The leds should be plenty bright to shine through enough.

For the transparent material you could use something like this http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/9-...bes-P1009.aspx. You can even lightly sand this stuff to make it more opaque.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

That internal looks very cool.... you print that yourself or shapeways?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Avidgrant View Post
    That internal looks very cool.... you print that yourself or shapeways?
    PMing you. Don't want to hijack OP's thread too much

@darth_chasm Thanks for sharing that. In terms of actually attaching it to the chassis, what method do you use? Glue? Some kind of bracket?

If they are attached straight to the board, then the solder holds it fine I assume?

Blog Entries

If you are using a board with dedicated pads for smd leds then you can try your hand at them. If the all size is intimidating, you can bridge the pads and attach leads that go to a 5mm/3mm led and use Kapton tape or strategic positioning to keep the led stable. The same method of using leads to a 5/3mm led and tape or positioning can be used for boards without dedicated pads. You just have to follow the manual on how/where to wire them. As for chassis I will say it depends on the chassis. Tape and or glue sound like viable options.