Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Look what i found (scrap parts at work)

Default Look what i found (scrap parts at work)

I was wondering if we could start a thread of scrap stuff we find at work and post it in a thread with some ideas of what a person could do with it.
    Last edited by Natesroom; 07-19-2011 at 07:19 AM.

I got these today free from a vendor of mine... He says they are Luxeon Rebels, and he said 9v dc max!! How can i power them on for a trial without blowing them?

I guess i could get a DC power supply 9v or below and splice it and attach the wires for a test

I like this idea - unfortunately I'm in "cubical land"...saber out of paperclips maybe.
    Yub Yub Commander.

yeah i think it could have great legs!

I would be careful with those they dont appear to have enough metal to dissapate the heat of 3 rebels. under 500ma rebels stay cool but over that make sure they are in contact with a good size chunk of metal.

Yeah i figured i would need to put a heat sink under them... I have no shortage of aluminum here in the shop thats for sure! I know copper is better but for a test run i'm sure i can make do with it!

well i'm in the navy so... no fair? lol i was actually thinking of building a navy themed saber. like a S.E.A.L. tribute or something. trident saber?! lol
    cool thread though!
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

wow... that would be cool... I was stationed at Pensacola NAS back in the days

Ok so the bottom side of these circuit boards has 1/2" long pins how do i attach that to a heatsink? can i just remove them? Or can i desolder them pull them out and then wire my leads to the correct hole?

you can see on the top one the pins sticking into the foam... there's also a black piece surrounding them i might need to remove....

I can post a photo of the back if you want to see it.

Also found a block of 1" square aluminum so i made a heatsink out of it at work!
    Last edited by Natesroom; 07-20-2011 at 10:48 AM.

If you're planning on using these as main LEDs for a saber, you might want to reconsider. I'm not aware of any lenses or reflectors that will enable those to illuminate a blade properly.

That's not to say you couldn't use them for other purposes though. When attaching to a heat sink, be sure your electrical connections aren't making contact with the heat sink itself. You will have a short circuit and possibly pop the LEDs.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!