Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fett263's Korbanth Crossguard 2.0 Neopixel (Prizm 5.1)

This is great! I'll be doing something similar soon. Where did you get the 21700 already wired?

Darkmatter73

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter73 View Post
    This is great! I'll be doing something similar soon. Where did you get the 21700 already wired?

Darkmatter73
    I got it from KR Sabers

Another small update, I swapped out my AUX switch, originally I had a small momentary switch threaded from the inside in the cutaway section, but over time using it the metal and threads were too thin and the switch started to get loose on me. I opted to replace with a small tactile switch (the same one Goth 3D uses in his solution) but mounted in the same spot by pulling the wires through the opening from the old switch. I painted it to look like "the insides" of the saber to blend it in, it's a little more noticeable than the momentary switch but it won't give me trouble with usage since it's mounted from the outside. Since my saber is for trooping primarily, I'm not as worried about the button- but if you're after more accuracy it may not be for you. I still think it looks good, but I did like the aesthetics of the old switch a little better but from a practical POV it was starting to give me trouble so I swapped it so I can use it without worry.

Might be an option for others so here it is:
    20180907_110746.jpg
    20180911_133235.jpg
    20180911_133240.jpg
    20180911_133339.jpg

Trooping sabers have to be tough, flexible, and fairly accurate. Tough comes first.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Trooping sabers have to be tough, flexible, and fairly accurate. Tough comes first.

Tom
    Exactly, just in the couple of weeks of playing around with it the other switch started to get too loose and there wasn't enough thread to keep it still so I had to modify, better to find out now and switch then get to an event and have it push in on me. Nothing worse then getting to an event and having something break or not work, so I usually beat things up at home and try to prep before I take out in public. Originally I wanted something in that general spot to press since it just felt more natural to me holding the saber so I went with the momentary switch but there just wasn't enough metal for the threads to really grab, so back up plan went into effect after first attempt started to give me trouble.

Down the line I may pick up a back up and build a whole new one, this was my first saber build so I made some mistakes and also learned a lot, my next foray will be exponentially better. Need to save up some money first, and hope this hurricane doesn't cause too much damage to the house and property...

Its very addictive. I'm more into building these custom sabers now than costuming. I spent 7 anal retentive months putting together and sewing my Kylo. Now, all I care about is lightsabers. I have a TK to build and a Vader. They just sitting around looking at all my saber stuff!

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Had my first event with the saber last night, I got just about an hour of continuous run with the 21700 before I started to get static in the audio. I quickly swapped out to my backup and kept on going.

https://vimeo.com/293706288

Your saber looks great, really nice work!
    Did the JJ Industries clip fit using the pre-existing holes or did you need to drill/tap a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Manannin View Post
    Your saber looks great, really nice work!
    Did the JJ Industries clip fit using the pre-existing holes or did you need to drill/tap a new one?
    Thanks, the clip fit but I replaced the screws, you probably could just re-tap also, but the holes lined up so I just found screws that fit.