Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 10W ledengin Question

Ok, so I think I'll do this. I'll get the 8x AAA holder, fill them with NiMHs, to get 12V, and drive it with the 1000mA 'Puck to give it a safe but powerful 12W. Anyone tell me if this isn't safe for some reason, because I REALLY don't want to blow this thing out. And Sunrider, I figured anything will be brighter than the 3W Lux. III Green led I have been powering with 4x AAAs and an MR soundboard, and I wanted a really rich, deep color, so I don't think I'll be dissapointed!

Edit: Oh, and for heat, I'll coat the heatsink with thermal compound(Arctic Silver 5) that they use in computers, and drill some vent holes in the hilt.
    Last edited by Master Valon; 03-11-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Keep in mind that a buck puck needs 1 volt over vf to work so 12v pack does not give enough overhead. There are boost drivers out there too mind you.

What is a boost driver you ask? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

So would my original 14.4V pack work?

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

for most of its charge yes. but you won't be able to run a soundboard with it. there aren't any that can take that much voltage.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Yeah, I decided to build a really bright stunt saber with this one. Now, how much run time shall I expect from this build? Like, half an hour, an hour???

Seriously. I would expect a AAA pack to blow up driving a 10w at 12 watts. You really need li ion here. A 12 cell pack is most impractical. 2 18650s could actually handle the current and would have better run time.

But the operating voltage of this led is 10.5V, and wouldn't 2 18650s only provide 7.4V? Could I use 3 AA sized 14500s and a dummy AA in 2 2x AA holders to get 11.1V in conjunction with a 1000mA 'Puck?
    Edit: Wait, those are unprotected, nevermind. What do you suggest I do then, seeing as 2 18650s won't get this thing started...
    Last edited by Master Valon; 03-12-2011 at 05:52 PM.

PMed you

You should be able to rewire the deep red in a different configuration. 10.5V is all 4 dies in series. Each die requires 2.625V. I'd just use 2 18650s, and put the LED in series/parallel configuration. 5.25V @ 1400mA for 2 dies at a time.

Yes but he already said he got the serial pcb.