Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can we end this?

i like LM's ideas. They should be applied if everybody agrees to them.
    ...YUP!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is why LM is the sheriff!

Sound like a great Idea to me.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    If you have nothing useful to add, don't post.

Back on topic...Here is what I propose, after reading through this thread.

1. Misc be made a no-post count area
    2. Spell check and use proper grammar in every area but misc (if you desire not to)

If these changes were implemented, the olde guard could just not read anything in misc. New guys wouldn't be able to postwhore in misc just to get their count up, they would have to make legitimate posts on the lightsaber sections of the forums. If you had a random hilt building question, put it in General Hilt Building. As long as people spelled properly in the lightsaber building sections of the forum, the olde guard wouldn't get pissed.

Anybody liking these ideas?
    I think that pretty well sums it up Lord Maul. Like we've said an attempt at proper grammer and no "post count spamming" and we should be good. Well that's my personal take anyways.

I agree that the misc shouldn't count toward your post total. I do think we need another subsection of the misc forums like was said earlier, one for misc lightsaber stuff and one for misc in general.

I do think that grammer should be used anywhere you go in the forums. Just because it's in the misc section shouldn't be an excuse to slack off when it comes to proper english. I think what Lord Maul proposes would solve most if not all of the problem.

Revan:I hurt my own eyes after reading over my post again, lol. As you can see now and some of Ye Olde Guard can tell you I can be long winded sometimes. I only intended that to be about a paragraph, 2 at the most but it went to a rant.

I think after all of this is settled we should all head to the cantina on tatooine. I call piolet if Maul is buying.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

I agree with Gold, misc should still have proper spelling. If you're posting in the misc section, and no one can read or understand what you're saying, there's no point in you posting in the first place.

As for Tatooine, I call soda. I am the perpetual designated pilot

Maverick
    New people, read here first. It will answer a lot of your questions ->http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=6430

Hrm...

I'm actually not quite liking the "Misc doesn't count" idea. It sounds cool if you're coming from the perspective that the post count is supposed to reflect the posts you make in the technical threads, but I'm not so sure that that's the best idea. If the Misc forums have new rules implemented and aren't a spam-filled forum, then they should keep the post count, since it does add to the overall TCSS community.

Besides, there are a lot of members that don't post much in the technical sections because there's already a wealth of knowledge there already. After all, a smart new member will look through the FAQ and Index to find what they're looking for. It wouldn't exactly be fair to wipe out the entire post count of a highly active TCSS community member just because they didn't happen to have any big technical questions that weren't already answered in the three-and-a-half years of the TCSS Forums' lifetime.
    I think that if we add these rules, it should be fine:

The thread titles must actually reflect the subject.
    None of those "you guys need to see this" titles. An example of how to do things correctly is the perfectly-titled "The Force Unleashed: Sith Edition."

The posts must actually be on-topic.
    Not that there can't be any leeway, but the posts need to add to the discussion of the thread subject, even if only with a small comment.

All posts must use decent grammar.
    Nobody's perfect, but everyone needs to at least try. (Unless you're Yoda, in which case there is no try)
    Last edited by Nightwing; 07-27-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

I can see your side to that too nightwing. I'm not saying get rid of the credited post you already have for the misc section. By that I simply mean just don't let any further posts count towards the overall total.

Something else I thought I would run by everyone is possibly a subsection count if we don't want to completely do away with the misc forums counting towards a total. This is what I had in mind. Take each of the catagories such as, misc, general hilt, LED wiring, and have a number beside each of the things and let it count to specificaly that catagory post count when you post something. For example if you post 2 things in misc, and 5 in general hilt, have the number for general hilt go up by 5 and the misc go up by 2 and then have an overall combined post total number of 7. This way people could see where people post the most for those that may be worried about people "postwhoring/spamming" to make themselves seem intelligent and like they know what they're talking about. Not bashing anyone but I have seen that on several other forums.

That would enable the posts here to still be counted to the overall post count but also enable the newer members and some of ye olde guard to have their wishes granted also. It would let people see who probably knows what they're talking about and who just spams one section of the forums.

I'm still all for not counting the misc section anymore but if it's decided to let the misc section still count then this is just an idea I wanted to run by everyone.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

Quote Originally Posted by goldsaberwarrior View Post
    Something else I thought I would run by everyone is possibly a subsection count if we don't want to completely do away with the misc forums counting towards a total. This is what I had in mind. Take each of the catagories such as, misc, general hilt, LED wiring, and have a number beside each of the things and let it count to specificaly that catagory post count when you post something. For example if you post 2 things in misc, and 5 in general hilt, have the number for general hilt go up by 5 and the misc go up by 2 and then have an overall combined post total number of 7.
    Um... I'm not sure that this forum's software allows for that. Interesting idea, though, if a bit complicated.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm guessing that it doesn't.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I agree with this statement 100%

-If you have nothing useful to add, don't post.

If a post makes you so mad where you ened to bash a noob,...then skip it..

if you have enough time to post saying: "YOU NEED TO READ".. or anythign along those lines.... then you have enough time to post links that can direct them what they need to read/learn..

if not SKIP IT...

I think alot of memebers here have this attitude like the 'old guard' is rude and mean..yadda yadda... (they arent.. its just they have either learnd this themselves, and paved the way for others....and they see it as some 'not trying'..and being lazy)..

however just simple ignoring the post will MAKE them use the search if they really want the answer or just reply with some links with nothing more..

I think that, that behavior will change some of the perceptions..

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post

I think alot of memebers here have this attitude like the 'old guard' is rude and mean..yadda yadda... (they arent.. its just they have either learnd this themselves, and paved the way for others....and they see it as some 'not trying'..and being lazy)..
    Man, my post count is gonna go down..... and i'd just bought a bulk order of fuel canisters for my flamethrower!

If I stop the flaming, I guess i'll have to use Master Bunny alot more too...

As has already been said, Ye Olde Guard has no issue with new people, so long as they use the magical search bar...
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?