Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: TCSS version of saberbuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Tarragon Rill View Post
    sorry to dig this up again....

However I was just wondering if the save button could be set up to not only save the .PNG, but also save some sort of config file with the actual layout, so you could then reload it later to do more work on it.
    thats funny you save that.. actually that feature 'was' there originally before the image export.

it was decided to go with the way it s now though because of several factors.

1.) for every 'save' there was a text file created.. and you were then given an 'id#' to see/re-start your build again..next time you visited.

2.) that takes up space. how many people use it? not exactly sure..but Im going to say 'alot'.. I know the traffic when it first went up....and I also know the abuse put it through... (saving one part at a time...not reading the messages/alerts/notes on the save panel...etc).. but that leads to MANY .txt files being created/saved

3.) for how long do you keep these 'saves'? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month?

4.) finally.. if you 'really' cant remember the 5-6 (whatever) parts you had on the stage, (even after saving a ..png 'copy' of where you are at currently)..

I dont know... (maybe you just need to take a break from life for a bit)

haha...

to be honest.. SaberBuilder was a 'fairly' complicated project for me.. it took alot of tweaking to get the ideas/engine/platform down to what I had in my head... and also to be 'updatable/expandable' in the future.. (without the need for any more developer fees)

Ya, all of this is understandable. So let me ask this, what about a java app we put on our system. Then there is no overhead ffor Tim's server, as all the app. and all the saving etc. will be done on our local machine. We would then just neeed to update the parts database if there is ever a change made. So a one time download every few months and people can create and save and redo to thier hearts content, without affecting Tim's system at all.

The idea posted of just saving me a copy of all the bits in a template file for photoshop is good too, but the java app on my ystem will still do the measuring, and priceing, as well as exporting a parts list back to the web page if I want to then "purchase" the build. Not a big deal, as it works "as is", just tossing in some ideas since I got in on the discussion late in the game.

I see you have constructed a new light saber, your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful; as the Emperor has foreseen.

Check My Gallery on Skydrive

I dont know 'Java'...

And Im not sure it can all be done the same in Java either..

web based is usually more simpler and the direct aproach to mass/public accessed sites/projetcs like this.

If anyone wants to make a standalone version.. feel free! =)

It would be a pain to 'transfer' the current web base version to a stand alone java, but i can always ask my programmer buddy.

I use to work on this a couple years ago, but haven't 'kept up'.

If it does not cross anyone, i can ask and see what happens?
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Im curious:

1.) how would updates be done? (ie: a bug was found..and a new version is released?), every needed to DL another program..and re-install?

2.) what about new parts? hey have to DL and update a 'parts package' too?

seems like a lot of work and deployment.. when the web version seems just fine...no?

(people really cant build a saber in XX amount of time?...or cant remember the couple parts on the stage..because they didnt finish?)

Im just unclear as to what was found 'lacking'...that there needs to be a solution..

however "I" would be interested in hearing what your buddy has to say out of curiousity.

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    Im curious:

1.) how would updates be done? (ie: a bug was found..and a new version is released?), every needed to DL another program..and re-install?

2.) what about new parts? hey have to DL and update a 'parts package' too?

seems like a lot of work and deployment.. when the web version seems just fine...no?

(people really cant build a saber in XX amount of time?...or cant remember the couple parts on the stage..because they didnt finish?)

Im just unclear as to what was found 'lacking'...that there needs to be a solution..

however "I" would be interested in hearing what your buddy has to say out of curiousity.
    It would not be practical. Personally the web base version is great, it just needs a part update.

On my hand i use the web builder to put out parts/colors then i do the rest on photoshop. The possibilities are endless...

Last edited by Ronan; 09-22-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

I would be happy with the original builder getting the updates that are needed. Its been quite some time really. I know several times its been mentioned and lists have been made, but it never goes anywhere.

linky to list of all missing items?

After looking through the store, these are the item I came up with that are not on the MHS builder. If anybody can think of others, by all means chime in. I hope I am not stepping on any toes by this, I just figured it would be good to have the builder updated with everything Tim has to offer.

Screw on LED blade holder style 19
    MHS choke style 3 Long
    4" Double Female Grooved
    Tonfa MHS adapter
    Tonfa handle style 1
    MHS Sleeve 1
    Tonfa Pommel Ring
    Trim Ring 1
    Trim Ring 2
    Trim Ring 3
    Trim Ring 4
    Activation box style 1
    Activation box style 2
    Activation box style 4
    Kobold D-Ring

I'll see if I can knock a few of these out or something.. (this weekend)..

also..there was/is a tutorial around here.. by myself as well as a good one by Corbin Das on how to make your own 'images'.. and even the resources needed to make a part for the MHS builder itself..

just an FYI is anyone has time..and wants to help out.