Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where best to mount speaker

Default Where best to mount speaker

I'm looking to add sound to my new saber and I'm not to sure where it would be best to mount the speaker.

Should I mount it in the pommel or would mounting it higher up in the main body (between the main body and the choke)
    be better?
    Might have more resonance mounting higher up?

What do you folks think?

Personally I have my speaker about 1.36 inches from the bottom own my saber, and that seems to give me a good enough sound for my taste. Although keep in mind I'm still new to the saber building scene . I would just take about my pieces and experiment as needed. Maybe someone else with more experience can comment. Best of luck.
    Last edited by rlh14; 11-23-2015 at 09:52 AM.

if its a newer pommel (it would have the same inner diameter as the main hilt piece) you can use a chassis disk style 5 and a speaker holder style 4 and basically mount the speaker inside of the pommel. (the chassis disk would go in the pommel end of the choke with the speaker facing out)

My speaker is in the pommel, which seems to be pretty standard. Although it sounds good, ever since reading a thread on 'reverse sound' I kinda agree that it's the blade end that should emit the hum of a lightsaber. I'm now working on my second build and will be mounting a 20mm speaker in the 'choke' area facing front. I've yet to hear how it sounds, guess I'll find out and pass on what I have learned

Now that sounds like an interesting read Greenie, can you remember the name of the thread?
    I really like the concept of having the sound come from the blade end.

Wonder if anyone has tried running 2 speakers? 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_D_G View Post
    Now that sounds like an interesting read Greenie, can you remember the name of the thread?
    I really like the concept of having the sound come from the blade end.

Wonder if anyone has tried running 2 speakers? 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke?
    I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm gonna have a search. I sure someone will jump in with the link before I find it
    I think that maybe discussed in the same thread. Definitely an interesting idea

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-s-Frankenflex

This guy had a dual speaker setup, although both speakers were in the crystal chamber instead of 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke like you described

Quote Originally Posted by ColdVizjerei View Post
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-s-Frankenflex

This guy had a dual speaker setup, although both speakers were in the crystal chamber instead of 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke like you described
    Thats mine! but anyway speaker in pommel is the standard it just the easiest way about it. Whenever you put the speaker anywhere else you have to negotiate wire around your speaker. Depending on how many wires that is and what gauge the harder that can be. As far as realism goes I think reverse sound would be the most realistic but not always feasable for all builds. If you do go in pommel the further away from the opening you go the more pronounced the bass will be but you will sacrifice clarity. I think and this is just a guess, if you were to put you speaker way up past the choke you would get a really muffled sound its just so deep in the hilt you might want to vent your hilt closer to the speaker. Also with you pommel so far down the hilt it may sound kinda weird having you sound coming so far from the main part of the hilt.

Many thanks Greenie, this just made my build a lot more complicated/interesting lol