Thread: Momentary Switch

Default Momentary Switch

I am using a 3.7v battery to power a saber with NBv2 and Power Xtender for FoC. Everything is working fine but when I pull the kill key the LED in the momentary switch is very faint, then goes off all together. I've checked connections and even re-soldered the connections at the switch but to no avail. I'd assume the LED had gone but the light does come on intermittently, but it always ends up fading away. I'm using a Dynaohm resistor. Could it be an issue with the resistor? Also, when I pull the kill key, the main LED for the blade very briefly flashes. It is literally a split second flash and not very bright. Is this normal or should I be concerned about this too? As I said, the light, sound and FoC all work fine when the saber is active; it's just these last few issues that I'm having. Any help would be appreciated.

I would make sure you have the Dyna-Ohm connected properly. There is a specific way to connect it. Regarding the main LED, you might have an intermittent short somewhere.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I would make sure you have the Dyna-Ohm connected properly. There is a specific way to connect it. Regarding the main LED, you might have an intermittent short somewhere.
    Wouldn't a short manifest itself during operation? This flash only occurs when I pull the kill key and it only occurs once. Upon activation the blade is bright and steady. As for the Dynaohm, I didn't know there was a specific way I was supposed to connect it. I will have to figure that one out.

Not always, that's why we call it an intermittent short. lol If it only happens on the kill key pull, and it doesn't really bother you, I wouldn't worry about it for now. Regarding the Dyna-Ohm, it goes not he (+) wire and must be oriented a certain way.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Not always, that's why we call it an intermittent short. lol If it only happens on the kill key pull, and it doesn't really bother you, I wouldn't worry about it for now. Regarding the Dyna-Ohm, it goes not he (+) wire and must be oriented a certain way.
    Thanks for the help. I just did a search and found a thread with that information on the Dynaohm. I'm willing to bet I've put it in the wrong way around. I will check now. I'm assuming there is a clear indication as to the 'in' and 'out' on the DynaOhm.

I don't know, I've never used one, but I'd bet there probably is.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I don't know, I've never used one, but I'd bet there probably is.
    Yeah, they are labelled. I definitely had it wired in the wrong direction but after changing it, it still isn't working. I think this is probably because the LED is completely gone now. I will order a new switch and start over.

If you put the resistor in backwards, I'm fairly certain the LED is gone as you suspected. But it's a learning experience. I bet you'll always double-check your dynaohms in the future now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    If you put the resistor in backwards, I'm fairly certain the LED is gone as you suspected. But it's a learning experience. I bet you'll always double-check your dynaohms in the future now.
    LOL. Yeah, I don't think I will make that mistake again. Thanks guys for your help. I'm now waiting for a new switch and resistor. The saber should be done in about a month. I've got a lot of painting and detailing to do, but once it's done I will post pics. I'm excited to share it with you all.