Thread: Beginner looking to learn. MWS or not?

Default Beginner looking to learn. MWS or not?

Ok so I'm new to all this, but I have put in a good couple of weeks looking a lot at the same pages in the shop. And looking around on here. But to cut long story short, I have a nephew I want to build him one of his designed lightsaber a, but firstly I want to build a crystal chamber and chassis to go on the inside. The plan is to have an ID of the hilt to be 1" and OD of 1.25". But I would like to build a chamber and chassis to slide inside it. All the individual parts that make up the chassis/inside of the hilt, I just look at and have no idea. So I looked at MWS to help break me into it. Is this a possible better way to get into the whole electronical side of the build?

I have a whole load of questions about each bit. But firstly, it would be good to know if this is the best approach to start with.

Welcome to the party. 1" ID is gonna be tight. It's do-able but MWS wil eat up more space than direct soldering and you want to add a crystal chamber. I certainly don't want to make assumptions on your skill level or ability but a build of that size may be ambitious.
    I built a saber for my daughter, 1.25"ID at 10" long (minus 2" for the blade holder) and as much as she wanted a CC my crum-fu was not up to the challenge. I did have a little more success with my removable chassis though, 1.25" ID at 10.5" length.

Good luck and MTFBWY

Greenie

Blog Entries

That size may be a little too ambitious with MWS & crystal chamber. Honestly, it would be tough with just MWS.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Welcome to the party. 1" ID is gonna be tight. It's do-able but MWS wil eat up more space than direct soldering and you want to add a crystal chamber. I certainly don't want to make assumptions on your skill level or ability but a build of that size may be ambitious.
    I built a saber for my daughter, 1.25"ID at 10" long (minus 2" for the blade holder) and as much as she wanted a CC my crum-fu was not up to the challenge. I did have a little more success with my removable chassis though, 1.25" ID at 10.5" length.

Good luck and MTFBWY

Greenie
    My nephews only got tiny hands so I didn't want to make it to wide it doesn't sound much of an addition to the hilt size, but when his hands are so small, it could be huge. But thanks for the advice, I'll look into increasing the ID size then to provide more space.

So next is the LED. All of my nephew designs include a red blade, so this is what I plan to do, but I would like to give him the option of changing colours from time to time, if he ever fancies a change lol. Now the LED Modules, in the item description, doesn't have a 'tri' LED, so would it best to order the items in the descriptions individually but instead of a, for example 'Cree XP-E2' getting a 'Cree Tri-Xp-E2'? But then the remains items that are part of the module piece?
    So the pieces would be ...

• MHS Heatsink
    • Cree XP-E2 copper Star LED (replace this with a Cree Tri-XP-E2 Custom-Tri-Cree LED)
    • Cree Star lens holder
    • 8.7 Deg Optics
    • Thermal tape pad
    • JST male connector Blue- White+ 24AWG