Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saber Staff Battery and Lux III LED Wiring

D'oh. Thanks Jay-gon. That's totally a better idea. You wouldn't even need any resistors then, right? I was just thinking it would underdrive them too much. And I thought I was getting the hang of this.

Edit: That came out like it could have been sarcastic, it really wasn't meant to be. Eheh.. heh... pardon me, I have a bit of a cold, and am medicated up into the clouds today.
    Last edited by Flyerfye; 06-24-2008 at 02:27 PM.
    "You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi circuit diagrams by Count Dooku!"

I would have thought to run pucks parallel off the same switch, just positive to switch split from switch to independant pucks then negative from the pucks back together to negative from the battery pack.

no problem....I bet there's a downloadable pdf on lumileds site for what you're looking to do. Found some! Scroll to about page the top of page 6....there's a digram there that shows three Lux III's but two would be done the same:
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/3021-buckpuck.pdf

I think to run the leds in series, you'll need to be able to exceed the forward voltage of the two led's together...so a 7.2 volt battery pack might be what you'll need to use. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

Of course, you want to have both ends of the staff turn on at the push of one button, right? That's what this set-up will do.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 06-24-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I think I'm getting more confused here. I think I understand about how to run the led's in paralell. JayGon, if I run the LED's in series, can I run the two battery packs in series also, in order to get the volts I need.

Here's what I'm working with:
    Two- 4 AAA battery packs
    two- Lux III- Green LEDs
    basically unlimited wire,
    two 2.2 Ohm 5w resistors.
    One Latching switch.

can anyone diagram this up for me...please.

For some reason I thought you had a buckpuck, not resistors. You'd have to change the resistors to do what you want to do....actually, I think you'd only need one if you run the leds in series.

But for the parts you have listed, I'd do what the others suggested and get a DPDT switch....it'd be much easier.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyerfye View Post
    You could run this setup off a spst switch. Just attach both wires to the one connection. No need for a double. You'll only need a dpdt if you need to use two completely independent circuits, which this does not require. The way it's wired up in the diagram is the simplest and easiest, but it'll drain your batteries twice as fast (As you'll be powering 2 LEDs instead of 1)

More competent electricians PLEASE PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on any of this stuff.
    You can power this with 6v (and that's probably safest) running the LEDs like in the diagram. For this, if you use resistors you'll need two 2.2 ohm 5 watt resistors (one for each LED). These are the same ones you'd use for a single Lux3 Green, by the way. Or 2 1000ma buckpucks, one for each LED. And just hook it up like in the diagram. If I'm wrong, it'll probably just be dim/not work, so try not to worry about blowing anything up.

So in summary,
    1 (6v power source (4AAA or 4AA))
    2 (2.2 ohm 5 watt) OR (1000ma buckpuck)
    1 (spst switch)
    2 Lux3 greens
    some wires!

EDIT: I'm at work, so no graphic arts skills for me, but I threw together a diagram with these parts for you, hope it helps! (see attached file)
    I wired it up this way and it looks good, what do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images