Thread: Need some help!

Default Need some help!

I plan on building a new saber soon and I've been wondering what kind of switch I should use. I don't want the regular switch Tim sells, and I'm wondering if a lot of the switches out there would even fit in a ribbed section. The switch is the red part...it can go anywhere around that area, on the sinktube. I don't want it anywhere else.

Here is the picture...hopefully it will show. I'm not very good with these computer things.

If it doesn't work right off, I'll edit and just post a link...

Edit! Ooo! It worked!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

cool vos-ish. Are you looking for a latching or momentary? I've really gotten into using momentary tactile switches, but if you're not in that market, nevermind.

tactile (mom) thread:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=4592

Latching switches are a little less diverse, but there's still a good selection out there. I suggest you start looking for a switches first - to see what's available. I've made the mistake of seeing a neat set-up, planning the saber.. and then not finding it anywhere.

Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...ushbutton.html

You might find something that triggers an idea. You can always cannabalize red button heads off of other switches and pushbuttons, so there's lots of options. Good luck!

It really doesn't matter to me if its latching or momentary, I'm not hooking sound up to it. Just a plain stunt saber. I might hook a CF up to it one day if they don't sell out in 5 minutes every time. I was hoping to find a button thats a little bigger, red button of course, but the micro switch won't work because I don't have anything to mount it to. The plunger button is great, but I still don't think it would work either.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...TON,_RED_.html

That one looks like what I want. It doesn't matter if its a little big, it just needs to fit in the saber.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

That one could work too, and I wouldn't have to worry about ordering it over the internet.

EDIT! By the way, what is the big difference between latching and momentary if you are not using sound? I just want a switch that won't flicker every time you touch the switch!
    Last edited by chase; 04-22-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Get a latching guarded switch. if your gonna have tim do the custom machining might as well have him do the switch. Also you could have tim machine it so you can use the slider then shave the peg off to sute the length you want.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Latching means it will stay on until you hit it again (think of a door "latch": it hold it open or closed).

Momentary mean it stays on only as long as you hold the button down - once you release it, it turns off ("only for a moment")

If this is for a stunt saber, latching would be best.

...and as for flickering switches... those are probably just crappy switches.

If you get the SPST Latching push button it wont flicker when the plunger is bumped.

and yes a momentary button only stays on aslong as you hold it. if its a driver like corbins momentary or ervs CF or ultras USB a momentary button you do not have to hold cause the switch tells the board to turn on.

The last thread I read about the new switches said they are real deep. I don't know if they will fit in the ribbed section. I'll get one, and if it doesn't work, I'll put it in my other saber. Thanks for the definitions of the switches eastern.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

you are welcome. I have one [guarded switch] ordered - I'll let you know if it fits the ribbed section...
    Last edited by eastern57; 04-22-2008 at 01:24 PM.

No they wont fit in the ribbed section, lan has one and he said that they sit pritty deep.

Well there goes that idea. I'll just get a regular switch and go to radio shack and get the one I put in that link. If one doesn't work, the other is bound to. If not, I'll figure out something....