Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Luxeon String Saber

Default Luxeon String Saber

As some know, I have been planning to build a lightsaber with ten Luxeon III's inside the blade. Here I will show all my plans, and update you with my progress!

First problem I faced, was power. Ten Lux. III's aren't going to power easily... Also, I only wanted a EIGHT INCH HILT! So... The power supply itself would be impossible to fit inside the 8" hilt. When I figured this, I decided I would do it the only way possible... Nuclear Power! OK, not really... I would use ten 9V Batteries to power it, but even then, the size is a problem. So then it hit me, I could use an external power supply! Soon, though, I realized yet another problem, I would need elastic wires to allow for freedom to move! And to my knowledge, they don't exist! Then it hit me, yet again, I could us a series of reels to allow for more mobility! Soon after, I decided that the battery pack, would be made out of just and ordinary box, and then out of the box, the wires would run through a homemade belt to a reel. Then from there, it would go up my side, and to another reel attached to my shoulder. That reel would then run down my sleeve, and attach to the saber. But after I had drawn the plans, I had realized a fatal flaw. The belt buckle would make it to where the wires had to go up my back. But then another idea popped into my head! Make the buckle have quick connect plugs! Now the system was fully designed. Now I went to the blade. The blade would have nine of the ten LED's in it, and the hilt would hold the tenth one. There would be nine double-sided plastic silver mirrors, one before each LED, except the one in the hilt. And one one-way plastic silver mirror, to go on the tip. The Blade would have to be a 1" thin-walled, and there would not be a diffuser. To replace the diffuser, a thin Styrofoam insert would be used. This will not be a combat saber, but it will look really cool!

PROJECT PLANS

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Dude, I don't want to be the proverbial turd in your pool, but I'm wondering if all this work is going to give you the results you want.

I think it's going to be impossible to make the blade look even. The 10 LEDs are going to make 10 bright spots. I didn't see optics in there, so you'll just get a bright ball of light.

It'll be a nightmare to wire, and I don't know how you would mount the LEDs in the blade and keep them where they're put. I'm also worried that you aren't using heat sinks on them. They'll melt your styrofoam insert.

I hate to knock your idea down, but I wouldn't want to see you spend all that time, effort and money on something that may not give you the results you imagine.

I don't know. I'm not an expert. Prove me wrong. Make it work, and I'll be your biggest fan.

I think the Luxeons would burn out if they're not heatsinked, won't they?

I have to echo the same comments.. having an LED shing on the bottom of another.. well not going to make a evenly lit blade..IMHO..

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'ts going to break... no heatsinks on the mid ones. Then the electronics aren't right. YOu don't need 10 resistors if you're going to just combine all the wires.

Other bad ideas here:
    -10 9V's is like the equivalent of a AA pack of the same voltage. Even paralleled to make a parallel string like you want your batteries wouldn't handle it. 10 paralleled Luxeons would need 10 amps.
    -deshouldered? Granted you wouldn't be dueling, but I don't see the point.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Make sure the reel and wires are properly insulated. If you get a shock of 10A in your armpit, it will kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    I'ts going to break... no heatsinks on the mid ones. Then the electronics aren't right. YOu don't need 10 resistors if you're going to just combine all the wires.

Other bad ideas here:
    -10 9V's is like the equivalent of a AA pack of the same voltage. Even paralleled to make a parallel string like you want your batteries wouldn't handle it. 10 paralleled Luxeons would need 10 amps.
    -deshouldered? Granted you wouldn't be dueling, but I don't see the point.
    it will break... it will burn out and possibly burn up when those LEDs heat up your core... and shadows will afflict your entire blade... not to mention it will be a real pain to find 10 LEDs of all the same Bin... stay away from Cyans... lol

I'd be concerned with the voltage/amperage in that thing, you could seriously hurt yourself.

Thanks for all your comments! I will now answer most of the questions, and explain the ones helping me. Please read this before asking any other questions, as they will not be re-answered.

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband View Post
    1) You don't need 10 resistors if you're going to just combine all the wires.

2) deshouldered? Granted you wouldn't be dueling, but I don't see the point.
    1) The wires never combine, they are just bundled to make less mess.

2) I have already said it will just be for show.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    1) The 10 LEDs are going to make 10 bright spots. I didn't see optics in there, so you'll just get a bright ball of light.

2) It'll be a nightmare to wire, and I don't know how you would mount the LEDs in the blade and keep them where they're put.

3) I'm also worried that you aren't using heat sinks on them. They'll melt your Styrofoam insert.

4) I don't know. I'm not an expert. Prove me wrong. Make it work, and I'll be your biggest fan.
    1) Remember, they only need to light 3.6" of space, in a foam diffused spot. I may use some 120 degree' lenses, but I will need to find them.

2) It will be a big task to wire for sure. Especially the reels. I will need to gut them, then fit in a twenty wire bundle! As for the mounting inside the blade, it will just be glued to the insert.

3) Heat sinks won't be needed. What I am using isn't really Styrofoam... I just call it that because it is what it looks like. It is a thermal foam pipe insert. Believe me, I had thought of that! But good job catching my stupidity on calling it the wrong thing!

4) Great! Thanks for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lars View Post
    1)Make sure the reel and wires are properly insulated. If you get a shock of 10A in your armpit, it will kill you.
    1) Very good point! Thanks for this warning, I hadn't thought of possible human error... I will now need to insulate all of the metal reel in rubber, and the inside of the reel opening with foam, to prevent the accidental wire scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
    1) it will break...

2) it will burn out and possibly burn up when those LEDs heat up your core...

3) and shadows will afflict your entire blade...

4) not to mention it will be a real pain to find 10 LEDs of all the same Bin... stay away from Cyans... lol
    1) Thank you for your uncanning support!

2) It will burn out? I don't quite understand but I think you speak of the actual LED's... They are all powered individually, so their chances of burning out are the same as a normal Luxeon Saber. And as in 'burning out' I think you speak of the foam. The foam is a thermal pipe insert that will not burn nor melt.

3) Wrong. All light shot out of a luxeon is reflected back to that same luxeon. And due to the star design of a luxeon unit, it hits the previous luxeons mirror, which bounces it right back. Due to it going in between the stars' gap's, is will light all the foam around it. thus making the couple of millimeters where the luxeon is, still glow!

4) As stated in the first post they are white, so the bin only affects the brightness, which isn't a worry, since this blade will be brighter than a mofo due to its multi-luxeon system.

The LEDs would burn out because the heat won't dissipate. I think your talking about fire retardent foam which I doubt would cut it.