Thread: Newbie help- MR and Parks Conversions

Default Newbie help- MR and Parks Conversions

Hey guys

Im a total newbie to the Saber Smith world, but I've been reading up on the forums while waiting for activation and I think I am ready to start my first project. I have some experience soldering electronics as I swapped out the pickups in my electric guitar recently. (By the way, Gibson uses LEAD SOLDER on their joints. I have a hi-wattage iron and it still wouldnt melt. It wasnt pretty.)

I just have yet to decide where to start. There are two projects I want to complete, the question is which project is better for someone who is new at this?

I know as first priority I want to convert my Parks Arc-Wave to Luxeon LED as it is a beautiful hilt but I was more than dissatisfied with its dim blade and its lack of sound. I have already dissassembled it and noticed that the hilt itself is two pieces epoxied together (or so it seems.)

The emitter side appears to be 3/4" ID throughout, (it's a standard EL 3/4" PolyC blade) with a machined OD that is sculpted wider as you move toward the pommel. My first question is this- will I have to drill out the interior to fit a Lux hex star module? I would think it would be near impossible to access it since the lower section is epoxied on.

That said, the lower section appears to have a diameter of 1.25". I havent measured these exactly yet, I'm estimating according to the polycarbonate blade on my MR stocks which I know measures 1" OD. As you can see, it also has a rectangular cut-away section where I can either mount a decoration and/or the switch.

I am going to try to drill as little as possible, there's already a retention bolt set up, as is there a small bolt set up in the foregrip to secure its previous EL internals. I figure this could be used to secure the heatsink.

I have a friend who is a machinist so I might be able to get any applicable hardware from him, but I know I want a super bright Lux and a good sound system, but parts seem to be few and far between. I want to use a green LuxV (160 Lumens!) but TCSS is out of them so it seems. For sound, Ultra sound, Corbin boards, and my utmost desire, the Plecter Labs Crystal Focus driver, are all sold out!

Basically, I need help figuring out what I should get, where I can get it and how I should arrange it in order to make this saber wreak of awesome.

I am also interested in a Lux conversion kit for a ANH/ESB Luke, but I want a green LuxV (again) and I want to retain use of the MR Board. again, I checked TCSS and Ultrasabers, and they are not currently available.

Thanks in advance for any help you give!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Talk to Do Clo about converting that Parks. He's done 2 parks conversions.

A 5 watter on a MR board isn't worth the hassle. You will want to just go with a 3 watter or simply ditch the MR board and go with a US or CF.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Thanks Maul, I think then I'll stick with a LuxIII for the FX Conversion since I looked at the Ultrasabers tutorial and that seems to make everything easier. Thanks also for the referral, experience will definitely help in this situation.

Although, since I need to get a new sound board for the Parks anyway, I'm going LuxV for that one.

(edit) however I do still need help on all the parts I will need as this is my first time. that includes the proper resistors, speakers, etc... I dont know what I need hah.
    Last edited by Silverwing; 03-16-2008 at 02:07 PM.