Nova, I am currently undecided about changing one of the core component from my prototypes.

To run a luxV with the current design I have, we're running out of the "normal" specs of the PWM train IC. I tried up to 9V and up to 2A with one of my Cree, the IC didn't get damaged. The cree didn't neither, but we could "hear" the PWM switching on/off in the LED when overpowered. Was kinda fun.
The IC has an external fault protection that can protect it against overheating when enabled, but still, it was getting warm under abnormally high conditions. I'd like to try with a luxV to proove it would work. I suspect it would but without trying, we never know.

The component I currently use has some advantages: the fault protection against overheat, and a current limit can be set to protect the LED.

However, another IC I have in mind might run cooler on bigger wattage LEDs - ment to run up to 40V and up to 1.5A, our needs would be "easy" on it.

This being said, I am still uncertain: I think for most sabermaker, the one I currently have would be better: ability to set a protection value for the current can't be bad... Maybe for luxV we'd require a separate board?

I am looking at getting some of that IC, I'd run some tests next week. Other then that, all other components have been selected, and I can manage to have the board within 7/8 x 1.5 inch.

I think I might go with my current IC for the big runs, and see about 5-watters later.