Thread: Graflex flash tube conversion

Default Graflex flash tube conversion

For those who have converted a 3-cell Graflex flash tube... what is it that keeps the Graflex blade adapter fixed tight inside the upper tube? I just disassembled this thing and removed the original socket piece. Seems the only thing that was keeping it secure was one small screw above the glass eye and a semi tight fit inside the tube.

I'm working on a parks replica Graflex with a TCSS 1" blade holder. the blade holder is held in with that screw the brass pins and a glass eye thumb screw.

... and shimming up the blade adapter for a tight fit too?... I looked in the fx-sabers forum and found a few write-ups on Graflex conversions. They pretty much stated the same thing.

Are referring to the ring that would hold the bulb or the blade holder? if you mean the ring then yes u can shim it to keep it stable , I've read a few ways to do it. If you mean the blade holder then it just slides in nice and snudge then line it up and put the screws it, if your using the one from the store then you might want to get a set of short pins.

For the blade holder I actually checked out The Graflex Shop. I was interested in their newer version which is supposed to be something like 2.6 inches... shaving off 2 inches from the original blade holder socket. No need for a universal adapter to mount the LED heatsink to either. Once I have my hands on that I'll be coming here for the rest of the components for sure. It just struck me that there isn't much keeping the socket set in place. I plan on keeping the slide switch and not using it as a second hole for attachment. I saw where someone... maybe it was Yoda who does so many custom conversions on the Graflex said you can tap out that screw hole above the glass eye a bit larger for a bigger screw.