Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MHS Mara Jade ALMOST DONE

Default Re: black middle section

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_swarze
    Hey i love ur MARA JADE saber wow looks awesome,just have a question if you dont mind answering, how did you get the black in between the line cracks so perfectly? is that paint? did u use pint tape or something?? cuz it looks 100% perfect and it would really help me, thanks! and isn't mara jade supose to have a red blade? i guess purple or red u can use depending if you go with episode 7-9 which will be red, but the expanded universe she use's purple looks good either wat

please post back
    Hiya DS,
    Thanks for the comments. The black rings are enamel paint. I used Rustoleum spray (matte not shiny). I carefully taped off each space using painter's tape, applied first coat....waited about an hour, then did a second coat.

I then let the hilt dry for a day or so....and removed the tape. Keep in mind, enamel takes an extremely long time to dry fully so the paint was still 'tacky' at this point.

Then I took some acetone and used q-tips (LOTS) to clean the edges of the lines so there were no overspray or drip marks (these occur to a degree no matter how well you tape).

The process is extremely time consuming and tedious, but I really like the results, and am going to be painting more pieces in the future.

I chose to use a RED Luxeon because I personally think it will look good with this hilt. I do not know of another way to get purple other than using filters on a white LED, so I just stuck with RED.

Cheers
    May the Schwartz be with you...

you could ask do clo to make you a purple led stup, or you can get a p4 white led and use a purple filter. The p4 is an awsome led.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Default Atlas led

honestly the best way to make a purple saber is with an atlas led and a filter, but u cant use corbins film only or the filter wont be powerful enough,use an ultra blade or polypropenol it looks the best
    Master Yoda you survived, SURRPRISEd?

you need quite a bit of power to run an atlis and still only get minamul results.

Get a p4

Gentlemen...I appreciate all the inputs....really I do....however....

It is going to be a RED LUXEON III. It is already installed. The end.

Good discussion on the purple ideas though
    May the Schwartz be with you...

Sorry but i have to continue this or atleast say this last thing, the atlas you can run on 7.4 volts or 9v,which isnt bad u'll need that amount if you put sound anyway, but many people count the atlas out right off the bat cuz they have never tried it with purple, the atlas filtered with any color is way brighter and looks better then the k2 filtered

if u use an ultra blade or somthing simillar, and you can only try like one or two purples with the k2 cuz its not strong enough, if you look at my profile under pictures you should see many atlas examples

you can make almost any color look good with the atlas...

the best and brightest purple is thriough the atlas.. check it out.

p.s. but dont use corbin film only cuz it will get over powered, if you do ant to use corbin film then combine it with polypropenol,either way just film only looks better to me.

RED will look better on your saber anyways cuz it will be nice and bright and go good with it
    Master Yoda you survived, SURRPRISEd?

It's safe to say we eagerly await the finished product. I'm going to start a MJ style grip I can swap on my current hilt and I'm not really really psyched about drilling/tapping 24 to 30 6/32 holes. I guess I'll see soon enough but are you using brass strips on the handle?

But the fact of the matter is this, do you have the space for the batteries and other goodies like sound boards and the like? prolly not. Thats why I mentioned the p4 cause it has teh same spects and requirements as a luxIII but cranks out more lumens.

It will look intresting in a red, I would of went with a redo for a slightly different look. I think red os look better than plan old red.

Its all about space and effecincy and in most cases a 7.4V demanding led isent bery effecent in most hilt cases.
    Last edited by Hasid Lafre; 12-22-2007 at 09:50 PM.

freakin love it one of my fav lightsabers
    ... you a jedi..... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Talking

wow my friend that's a sweet saber!!