Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New saber design - problem with power switch

Council Member
    Sith Lord

sweet saber uk trooper [:0]

i think that you would turn it off every 5 seconds if you had the switch in the center. you could probably do it on the bottom as the gold ring or the entire section on the bottom that is telescoping

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.

what might be even more impressive is if you had a sliding potentiometer rigged in there, granted that might just be wishful thinking, but how cool would that be for an RGB led to have 3 rings of potentiometers
    wishful thinking i am certain, but i am sure it is not impossible... any thoughts?

Okay, here's my idea. Just off the top of my head. I have no idea HOW it'd get done, bt if you can make something that complex, this shouldn't be too much.

I'd say make the center ring(black) a seperate piece, and have two posts from the inside that'll touch a small, simple slide switch when rotated. Mount the switch to a "main part' of the saber, and find a way to attach the top and bottom parts of the saber (a few small screws?)
    How to keep the center ring from moving about (i.e. sliding around instead of rotating) ... Make the top, bottom and ring toothed... In other words, if you were to look at a cutaway, it might look like...

\/\/\/\/\/

Yes. Fear my crappy MS paint drawing and ascii art. It should work, but I don't know if it's entirely possible (and probably not cheap).

~~~~~~~~
    Support a starving artist:
    http://archammer2.deviantart.com

AH!
    I didn't reply to the other question though.
    I only drew the saber and someone else rendered it for my I'm afraid.
    I'm not sure what they used - Sorry!

Jon

Amazing facts about Jedi Jon:
    No.34 In space, JediJon can hear you scream
    No.65 - During the Clone Wars, Jedi Jon allowed himself to be captured. For torture, they made him eat his own entrails. He asked for seconds

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yup, I KNEW exactly where to look as I've seen that style of render before. You got your saber rendered by Gdawg at randomsabers. He uses flash I believe.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by UK Trooper

My biggest issue and the one that I always seem to come back to is getting the band to 'twist back' to its orginal location so it is not forever holding down the button. (otherwise there is no reason to have it).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not a problem! This switch is designed to hold down the button as long as the saber is on (see pic). the collar is somewhat firm - so it doesn't slide around and turn off the saber accidently. You don't have to worry about the collar having to slide back to a neutral position...
    Switch exposed = off
    Switch covered = on

PM me if you want more info on how to make one.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Sorry I can't think of a easy way of building this other than finding sometype of clockwork Switch like they use in Car Airbags and adapt it ?
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> what might be even more impressive is if you had a sliding potentiometer rigged in there, granted that might just be wishful thinking, but how cool would that be for an RGB led to have 3 rings of potentiometers
    wishful thinking i am certain, but i am sure it is not impossible... any thoughts? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Man what a Great Idea that would be for a Saber.[8D]

<center>
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before me"

</center>

ok, i know this is quite an old topic, almost a year, but here's an idea: you know those switches that they use for security systems? they're magnetic. here's one: link or link. when the magnets are close to each other, it'll turn on. when they're apart, it'll turn off. i think i read somewhere that someone was going to use this, except the switch in his saber hilt, and a glove would have the "key" in it. so only the person with the glove would be able to turn on the saber. but you could probably implement this idea somehow with the middle band of your saber.
    Never Examine Surprised Wombats!

[!!!!!!!!!(#==============

I thought about trying that but sadly I think there usually pritty long.

The idea would work if the switch was only about half na inch long.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

i think the first link i posted is kinda short. lol, but that whole glove idea might not work out so well. lol, if you spin the saber, it might turn off. lol!
    Never Examine Surprised Wombats!

[!!!!!!!!!(#==============