Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Coil Lightsabers

Default power

The power source for our lightsaber will be a small nuclear power cell.

The nature of this cell should allow to derive the power required in a package small enough to meet our size criteria. At the moment, I am focusing on betavoltaic cells such as those in the works from Betavoltaics Industries, Inc. as the most suitable. These cells are still in the R&D stage, but almost certainly illustrate the way to go for our project. The basis for Betavoltaic's technology is a clean, safe version of stimulated nuclear-decay technology based on the theoretical research of Dr. Ruggero Santilli and the experimental research of Ted Gagnon. The betavoltaic cells use an isotope of potassium (K40) as the energy source.

Betavoltaic: (Beta) meaning beta-electron, the high-energy electron ejected during the decay of a neutron into a proton. (Voltaic) meaning roughly an electrical voltage producing device.

"A kilogram of K40 has roughly the same energy content as 35,000 gallons of gasoline."

http://www.americanantigravity.com/betavoltaic.html

I don't think I'm going to hold my breath on the Nucliear Duracell...

You're talking about something that would revolutionize the modern world... It would eliminate the Gas engine, make power plants all but usless (just buy more bateries for the house!)... Not likely to happen any time soon. I'd like it to...

I think that if you could get the ark in this video to at least a foot long, you'd have many people here drooling. Even if you had to plug it in to a 220 amp service

Lightsaber Buck knife
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Default A Note on Voltage

Typically, in a normal arc, apx. 1000V (1KV) is needed to produce an arc of 1 mm in length. Since our tesloid is apx. 1400 to 1600 mm in length (to produce a 70 to 80 cm blade) this would mean we need a voltage of between 1400 to 1600 KV or 1.4 to 1.6 MV (million volts) if it were a normal arc.

Various factors, however, such as frequency, for example, reduce the voltage needed, and I estimate our tesloid of the required length will need between 70 to 75 KV.

Default yeah

and this is all just mental masturbation at this point! lol

Default Re: A Note on Voltage

Quote Originally Posted by bodi
    Typically, in a normal arc, apx. 1000V (1KV) is needed to produce an arc of 1 mm in length. Since our tesloid is apx. 1400 to 1600 mm in length (to produce a 70 to 80 cm blade) this would mean we need a voltage of between 1400 to 1600 KV or 1.4 to 1.6 MV (million volts) if it were a normal arc.

Various factors, however, such as frequency, for example, reduce the voltage needed, and I estimate our tesloid of the required length will need between 70 to 75 KV.

1.6 million volts needed x 1.5 volts in a AA=

Thumb, Pointer, Middle.... Carry the little piggy... Damn! I need more fingers!

That's whole lot of Bunnies!

Quote Originally Posted by bodi
    and this is all just mental masturbation at this point! lol

That's a little bit more information than I needed...

Edit: I'd suggest changing this Topic Title to something like "Tesla Coil Lightsaber" to distinguish it from the other 6 "Real Lightsaber" Topics.

even if it is possible and i does work there would be know way to get you hands on one unless you made it and its highly unlikly you could even get
    enough power in one battery sized thing that would fit in the hilt.dont get me wrong im all for it but i thinck its more likely that ill sprout wings and fly to the moon than this working actually its more likely the idea would work but there both kewl though ok i got off the point and lost my way. but its unlikly.

red leader moving in to attack position.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi tom
    even if it is possible and i does work there would be know way to get you hands on one unless you made it and its highly unlikly you could even get
    enough power in one battery sized thing that would fit in the hilt.dont get me wrong im all for it but i thinck its more likely that ill sprout wings and fly to the moon than this working actually its more likely the idea would work but there both kewl though ok i got off the point and lost my way. but its unlikly.

That's pretty obvious...

This is all and always just dreaming up ideas. If it was possible to do this would be a "Look what I made!!!!!" Topic, not "This would be cool!" one.

I think that the little gadget he posted is the closest thing I've seen yet to a "Real Lightsaber"! And if that tech can be developed from there to make even just that arc long enough for a saber, and that's all that's accomplished, that would be awesome!

does anyone else have an idea to make real lightsaber apsrt from this on even if its one that may never work it would still be interesting

red leader moving in to attack position.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi tom
    does anyone else have an idea to make real lightsaber apsrt from this on even if its one that may never work it would still be interesting

Here's one... I don't feel like searching for the others right now.

http://thecustomsabershop.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1082

http://thecustomsabershop.com/forum/...978&highlight=

Scroll down to my post for another theory... (with bad grammar...)
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.