Thread: Getting error first time attempting to connect to RICE port.

Default Getting error first time attempting to connect to RICE port.

Hey all, got my first saber completed and I'm trying to get the RICE style 1 port to work. Keep running into an error:
    Error: Something went wrong when reading the CFX. Restart your CFX and try again. (Link ID)
    This is after I click Read CFX Data
    error.jpg

Using the following:
    https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/E...E-Port-Style-1 and https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/E...5mm-RICE-cable
    I installed the drivers and it's reading the cable fine in device manager, downloaded the Crystal FX.exe program ver 3.1.0.2 from the site.

I am still running older firmware on this board cause I had bought it around the start of covid, but that version of the manual says it should work.
    I reset my SD card to the defaults, edited the config.txt file and set logport to 2. Is there something else I'm missing here?

I believe I've wired the port correctly, the GND is leading back to the Battery Negative.

CFX Wiring.jpg

Try connecting with the actual RICE software (https://www.plecterlabs.com/shop/art...rticles_id=126) and see if that works, if it does then it's the CF software and will likely need to reach out to Tristan for help on that one. If it doesn't, try swapping Tx and Rx lines and try again.

I'll try the software Thanks.
    With the ground at the top I used the left post as TX and right as RX, not sure if I wired them backwards though to be fair.
    Occasionally it will give me a bit of info briefly, like the battery info. So maybe it's the software.

Tried the software and no go, swapped the wires but that seems to be worse, now on CFX.exe the error is Could not connect to Lightsaber. Please reset the CFX and try again
    Main RICE is showing the port assigned in device manager, but not connecting at all.
    I currently have RXD post wired to TXO on the board, and TXD to RXI after switching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vehemet View Post
    Tried the software and no go, swapped the wires but that seems to be worse, now on CFX.exe the error is Could not connect to Lightsaber. Please reset the CFX and try again
    Main RICE is showing the port assigned in device manager, but not connecting at all.
    I currently have RXD post wired to TXO on the board, and TXD to RXI after switching them.
    double check your ground connection and make sure it's good. Have you tried connecting RICE through the usb port on the board?
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 05-25-2024 at 08:12 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I had to shave down a micro usb cable to make it fit, but no dice, unfortunately I don't have anything else that has data and micro to test the cable with either.
    Do you know if the wiring i had in my diagram was correct? or switched? "I currently have RXD post wired to TXO on the board, and TXD to RXI after switching them."
    If it matters I'm using a CFX I bought early 2020, but I put the current firmware version on it and copied the current version default package.

hmmm... firmware doesn't usually cause issues like this, but you could try updating it to one of the more current ones to rule that possibility out completely. You can find the latest here: https://www.plecterlabs.com/shop/articles.php?tPath=10 (It's also always in beta, so don't let that scare you away from the current version 8C). The process for update can be found in the manual on page 197.

Okay so I swapped the wires back, TXD to TXO, RXD to RXI on the board. RICE port works on the remote control options of the cfx application only.
    I managed to find a microUSB data cable and plugged that in to the board directly. That lets me import settings and seems like it's okay. But doesn't work in the rice app.

It may also help to ensure the R.I.C.E version you're using matches your firmware on the board...there are several versions of CFX R.I.C.E on the PlecterLabs site. I'm also sure that TX and RX are supposed go to their respective pads on the CFX. It's possible to get them mixed up on the port depending on your perspective when determining which is which on the port. It needs to match the pic in the part listing.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 05-26-2024 at 02:46 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yeah it works better wired the way I had it in my diagram. I put on March firmware on the CFX and should be using the matching RICE software, but it doesn't seem to detect it via the microUSB. RICE Cable reads on port 7, and that port shows up on the software, but doesn't connect.