Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D printed chassis

Default 3D printed chassis

I know there are a handful of 3D printed chassis available through shapeways, but was tossing around the idea of designing and printing my own.

Has anyone else tried this yet? Just curious how it went and whether you used PLA or ABS?

Never used it for a chassis, but as a professional product designer I have a decade and a half of experience with rapid prototyping. If you have questions hit me up. Either PLA or ABS would work fine. If FDM Printing I would make sure the printer is processing in in 100 micron or better resolution if you have significant detail in the parts. Personally I prefer the ABS just because PLA is a bio-polymer and I have done several products based on the plastic that use the oils and bacteria in the users hands to start the composting process.

The SLS used by most of the ones on the sight you mention appear to be fairly good resolution as well.

I would stay away from anything PolyJet/Connex printed in general. If SLA I would stick with Somos Next or Accura Xtreame materials with a .04 minimum wall on anything remotely structural.

There's a lot of trial and error involved. You design a part, print it, see what doesn't work. Change your design, reprint, and go again. Waiting for the prints is tedious, but otherwise it's fun. I've got pretty much an entire chassis system modeled, including a switch pack, sound board holder and expandable crystal chamber. I just need to finish the speaker holder. The whole process has been a blast.

Blog Entries

I've been working on one and just got the components yesterday. Went with a mix of SLS nylon and stainless steel. Pretty pleased with the results.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I've been working on one and just got the components yesterday. Went with a mix of SLS nylon and stainless steel. Pretty pleased with the results.
    I'd say it is pretty awesome looking both in styling and functionality.

ordered a GOTH chassis for my graflex 2.0 off shapeways and received in the mail the other day. Unfortunately it was shipped with a part of it broken off . Probably happened during the polishing process.

So my only advice would be to make sure your part is well reinforced and not modeled too thin depending on your material you choose. They might be replacing it, but as stated above, the printing and shipping time took about half a month.

Great comments and suggestions!!

If I try it, I will post the progress.

There are so many great printed chassis designs (many of which are modular), which I have used. I'm partial to GOTH.

Personally I'd rather not re-invent the wheel. Especially since each iteration of printing will take 3-6 weeks to get to you. So you'd be looking at possibly a year long process to make a chassis you like. The closest I've gotten to making a custom chassis is taking a dremel wheel to a piece of electrical conduit. The pic below isn't my work, but you get the idea.

I have my own 3D printer, so turn-around time would be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by bunger View Post
    I have my own 3D printer, so turn-around time would be minimal.
    In that case, completely disregard my post ... show off.