IMG_3159.jpgIMG_3160.jpgIMG_3161.jpg

My friends and I just followed the tutorial and did 4 Maul conversions in an assembly line fashion. It was a lot of fun. There are a couple of things worth mentioning.

The main reason I did this is because the stock blade on the Maul is simply too long for anyone shorter than 6 feet (which I am.) In single a single saber configuration, it's fine, but once you use the coupler to make a staff, it ends up being 7 1/2 feet long! I also really like being able to display this hilt with the blades detached.

The tutorial up here is very good, we were confused about a few things, but we figured it all out. We ended up removing the internal rubber ring near the middle of the hilt. It made it too difficult to get the conversion kit all the way in.

The red Luxeon LED looks fantastic. I'm very happy with the result. It looks much better than the stock string LEDs.

We also re-used the stock blades. We did the math and determined that to get a 6 foot staff, each blade needed to be 27.5 inches. We cut the blades down and then used a hole saw drill bit and a hand held grinder to make the blade ends small enough to fit into the conversion kit. The tutorial suggests sanding, but that would take forever. Then we put a piece of tape on the end for a little extra friction. It's not pretty, but it works and this part of the blade isn't visible when it's attached to the saber.

When cutting down a stock blade, be careful not get any particles inside the blade tube. We got quite a bit of plastic shavings and dust in there and it was a total pain to get out. You have to get it out or else it makes the blades look spotty when lit.

Overall, I'm very happy with these conversions. I'm having a slight issue with one of my sabers having an intermittent battery pack connection, but I think another rubber gasket may fix this.

-Richie