Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First build questions and opinions needed

A lathe would make a lot of things possible but I don't have one. I did hack together something with stuff I had laying around and a drill but it was less than a great solution. I'll have to take another look at a better setup. I do have a belt sander that my FIL gave me but I'm not sure how I could keep the OD relatively round using that. Seems like it would tend to create flats.

Take your blade plug, color the outside with a marker or something, and then carefully sand *just* the color off. You can still get flat spots, but you'll have a visual guide to help you. Go slowly, and you can get it done.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Drawcut View Post
    and the other uses the rotor from an electric motor.
    ...now THAT is an excellent idea. Nice "recycling" there...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Take your blade plug, color the outside with a marker or something, and then carefully sand *just* the color off. You can still get flat spots, but you'll have a visual guide to help you. Go slowly, and you can get it done.
    Go slowly? But that's the opposite of what I want to do! Got a few days off so I'll be back working on things.

MikeC13: Thanks, but I did get the idea from someone else here. They had used a rotor from a brushless motor while mine is from an older brushed style but same idea.

Blog Entries

Find a dowel that will fit the inside of the blade plug snuggly, put a long screw in it, chuck up the screw and dowel, put the blade plug on and spin away while gripping with sand paper.

Rubber bottle stoppers with predrilled holes work too. Thats what I've used for my hilt parts.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 10-14-2015 at 04:13 PM.

If you're sanding while it's spinning, I'd recommend wearing gloves. You're gonna generate some uncomfortable levels of heat.

But darth_chasm's method is a good one. That's probably what I'd try to do first.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Do not wear gloves when working with rotating equipment like a lathe or drill press. If the glove gets caught, it can pull your hand and more into the spinning machinery with very bad results. For protection use a loose rag, etc so that if it catches it won't pull body parts into machinery.

It's less of a concern with something like a handheld drill vs a larger lathe or drill press. But still, it's worth saying. I've seen the aftermath of this kind of accident and it's not pretty.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

True story. When I was a cable guy they made us wear gloves when we were doing pretty much everything but made us take them off when we were drilling.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Blog Entries

I should have clarified, power drill not drill press. If using a drill press you'd just hold the ends of the sand paper and not grip the piece.

If heat is a concern with the power drill you could use a sanding pad and avoid the gloves.