Thread: Testor enamal paint?

Default Testor enamal paint?

Hey all,
    just wondering if any one has used testor brand paint or automotive paint to paint their saber. I painted mine following the tutorial on the forums using krylon and baking the parts but it seems to be chipping in places and I have never even used it for combat yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I use (typically Krylon) enamel spray paint, and a clear coat of glossy (or matte, depending on desired finish) enamel to protect it. Some chipping will generally occur over time. If the paint is flaking off too easily, then it's usually a case of improper preparation of the painting surface.

Prior to painting, I will lightly sand the surface with some 200-400 grit sandpaper, then wash with mild dish soap, rinse and dry thoroughly, wipe down with acetone, and allow to dry again.

If you need a more durable painted surface, then you'll want some self-etching aluminum primer. It can often be found at automotive shops.

If primer + paint + clear coat isn't enough, then you'll have to make the switch to powder coating. Or learn to enjoy the weathered look.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 06-10-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

hmm. I did all of the proper cleaning as you stated minus the acetone wipe. its got 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of gloss with a 30 min bake in between each coat. I would of had it powdered coated but it was at a time when Tim had stopped powder coating for a while then right after stopped the machining after PCing. Much to think about.